BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MB_Analyst
Obsidian | Level 7

I am connecting to an Oracle DB via tan ODBC driver in SAS. 

LIBNAME tables
ODBC
USER=USER
PASSWORD=*****
DSN="Name"
SCHEMA=SCEMA;

The Oracle database has some tables replicated as a materialized view to speed up processing for some users. When I connect with SAS does the library show a copy of the table, or the materialized view of the table? I would prefer not to use the materialized version as it updates less frequently than I need it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Googling with keywords: oracle materialized view and table with same name

You cannot create a table and a materialized view of the same name. However, when you create a materialized viewOracle automatically creates a table by the same name in the ... _objects data dictionary views. When you select from that, you are selecting from the materialized view.

The materialized view (which actually is a table loaded into memory) is the result of a SQL query. It will retrieve the data directly or indirectly from table(s). I guess you could execute a describe on the view to get to the table names (to which you might or might not have read access). If you've got the read access then you could use the query from the describe in your own code (not sure actually: You need eventually to use the DDL of the view to get to the query which loads the data).

But... looking into Oracle docu here if and how complicated it will get for you to query the underlying physical table(s) directly will depend on the view definition. And you'll likely also experience a big performance degradation if directly querying the underlying physical tables.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Is there a difference in the name of the table versus the view? If so both should show. What do you see if you run PROC CONTENTS on the library?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

Googling with keywords: oracle materialized view and table with same name

You cannot create a table and a materialized view of the same name. However, when you create a materialized viewOracle automatically creates a table by the same name in the ... _objects data dictionary views. When you select from that, you are selecting from the materialized view.

The materialized view (which actually is a table loaded into memory) is the result of a SQL query. It will retrieve the data directly or indirectly from table(s). I guess you could execute a describe on the view to get to the table names (to which you might or might not have read access). If you've got the read access then you could use the query from the describe in your own code (not sure actually: You need eventually to use the DDL of the view to get to the query which loads the data).

But... looking into Oracle docu here if and how complicated it will get for you to query the underlying physical table(s) directly will depend on the view definition. And you'll likely also experience a big performance degradation if directly querying the underlying physical tables.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation