BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
simkinm2
Calcite | Level 5

I have a data set with over 400 variables that I need to recode.  The data looks something like this:

Var_A = values from 1-44

Var_B = Values from 45-98

etc.

I need to create a new variable by adding a specific value to each old variable, for example New_Var_A = Var_A +44.  Rather than creating over 400 if then statements, is there a more efficient way to recode these new variables with the new values?  I attempted to write a code like this:

data new;

set old;

New_Var_A = Var_A +44;

New_Var_B = Var_B + 98;

run;

but the new variables are not addiing up to the proper  values.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can use an ARRAY to make the coding easier, but the end result will be the same.  So I am not sure what your issue is with the values not being created properly.  Just create arrays for the variable pairs with 44 different and separate set of arrays for the 98 different pairs.

data want ;
  set have ;
  array old1 VARA VARC ... ;
  array new1 new_VARA new_VARC ... ;
  array old2 VARB VARD ... ;
  array new2 new_VARB new_VARD ... ;
  do i=1 to dim(old1) ;
      new1(i) = old1(i) + 44 ;
  end;
  do i=1 to dim(old2);
      new2(i) = old2(i) + 98 ;
  end;
run;
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Your problem is mainly die to that fact that you have 400 variables. That's not a convenient way to store, and maintain data.

Transpose it to Long, and your data management will be much easier.

Data never sleeps
ballardw
Super User

@simkinm2 wrote:

I have a data set with over 400 variables that I need to recode.  The data looks something like this:

Var_A = values from 1-44

Var_B = Values from 45-98

etc.

I need to create a new variable by adding a specific value to each old variable, for example New_Var_A = Var_A +44.  Rather than creating over 400 if then statements, is there a more efficient way to recode these new variables with the new values?  I attempted to write a code like this:

data new;

set old;

New_Var_A = Var_A +44;

New_Var_B = Var_B + 98;

run;

but the new variables are not addiing up to the proper  values.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

What are the values of the variables in the Old data set? What are the actual values in the New data set. It would help to provide an example Old data set, in the form of data step code; Your full code for those variables generating values "not addiing up to the proper  values"; and the actual desired output. A sample of 5 variable and five or ten rows of data should be sufficient.

BTW if the values of your shown VarA and VarB actually are that way and you request to increment by 44 makes be think that you may inserting a value at the beginning of some sort of list and just shifing a bunch of possitions into the next one. If so, the whole process maybe requires some consideration.

simkinm2
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for all your responses.  I realized that the issue was actually in vlookup table I had imported, which had some incorrect values.. My first step of adding a value to the old variable worked after all.

Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation