BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
victhor
Fluorite | Level 6

Good Morning

I am new to SAS but have quite a bit of experience with SQL (Oracle and SQL Server).

I have two datasets that I am trying to merge together, but one has a couple of additional variables.

The first something like

idnamestreetcitystate
1aaa111citynamexx
2bbb222citynamexx
3ccc333citynamexx
4ddd444citynamexx

The second something like:

idnamestreetaptcitycountystate
5eee555#313citynamecountynamexx
6fff666 citynamecountynamexx
7ggg777#acitynamecountynamexx
8hh888 citynamecountynamexx

And this is what I want:

idnamestreetaptcitycountystate
1aaa111 cityname xx
2bbb222 cityname xx
3ccc333 cityname xx
4ddd444 cityname xx
5eee555#313citynamecountynamexx
6fff666 citynamecountynamexx
7ggg777#acitynamecountynamexx

I can do it in proc sql (union accounting for the creating the new variables in the first table) but I was wondering if there is a simpler way with native SAS code.

I have read a lot but can't find a solution.  This may be sort of duh 101 stuff so my apologies for my ignorance in advance. 😁 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

You are not "merging" , which is a row , usually matching, operation. This is appending or stacking.

With different variables then

data want;
   set have1
         have2
        <other data sets if needed>
   ;
run;

Warning: same named variables in the two sets must be the same type, either numeric or character in both.

Warning: if the same named variables are character but have different lengths you WILL get a warning in the log about mismatched lengths and possible truncation of data. The easiest fix in that case is to place a LENGTH statement for the variable before the set statement to set the length to the longest needed.

Suppose one of the sets has a different length then you would use code like below to set the length to the longer of the two sets.

data want;
   length street $ 45;
   set have1
         have2
   ;
run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ballardw
Super User

You are not "merging" , which is a row , usually matching, operation. This is appending or stacking.

With different variables then

data want;
   set have1
         have2
   ;
run;

Warning: same named variables in the two sets must be the same type, either numeric or character in both.

Warning: if the same named variables are character but have different lengths you WILL get a warning in the log about mismatched lengths and possible truncation of data. The easiest fix in that case is to place a LENGTH statement for the variable before the set statement to set the length to the longest needed.

Suppose one of the sets has a different length then you would use code like below to set the length to the longer of the two sets.

data want;
   length street $ 45;
   set have1
         have2
   ;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation