BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Ullsokk
Pyrite | Level 9

I am building a SAS DI-studio job to update an analytical base table, as well as draw sample data for building predictive models. As part of the flow, I want to run some python code to do a an SGD classifier based on a term frequency–inverse document frequency of some words. The result of this classifier will be a list of words and weights that will produce features to be used in a SAS miner model. 

As far as I can tell, I have the following options:

• re-write the python program in SAS code (which I fear will be a non-trivial task, possibly requirering lisences we dont have, such as proc IML and/or SAS text miner), then apply this as a user written transformation or user written code
  • simply run the program manually, and import the results before doing the analysis in SAS MINER
  • use user-written code\user made transformation to run an x command to execute the python code 
  • Run everything through python instead, using SASpy to execute the SAS code

Are there more options? What would you reccomend?

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

I don't have any hands on experience of this, just giving my architectural PoV.

If this Python stuff can be seen as part of ETL, I'm pro of having that logic inside DIS.

I don't know which is the best method, but there seem to be an option to call Python from a data step Java object. See the link for details.

Perhaps you could create a custom transformation to package this?

https://github.com/sassoftware/enlighten-integration

Data never sleeps
Ullsokk
Pyrite | Level 9
It is stricktly speaking not part of the daily ETL. But every six months or so, some 20 models will be updated with new data, which requires the python job to run. But will check out the link, thanks!
AngusLooney
SAS Employee

I've certainly done this in the past using the xcmd route.

Essentially you're treating the script as any other OS command. Just need to make sure that the account you run your SAS batch processes as is properly setup to execute the python, e.g. has python in it's path, has permissions to run it, and whatever rights it needs to any files/directories.

Top tip - get the python (or bash, cmd, powershell or whatever) script to echo something to standard out when it finished, like some success or fail or whatever text/messages, and use a pipe to read that, so that your SAS process knows that it's worked, or not. You can't always rely on return codes, or the fact that the thing you called actually ran, to know if it worked or not. Experience with flaky Windows servers has lead me to always try to do this.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation