BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Sandy123
Calcite | Level 5

I am getting the below error while running a code in ultraedit.

"ERROR: System file lock limit exceeded."

Plzz help...

thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Is the error from ULTRAEDIT?  If so then this is the wrong forum to find an answer.

If the error is from SAS then you need to show the code. Or better the simplest version of the code that re-produces the error.

Sandy123
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tom for your reply.

I am trying to run .sas file using ultraedit and in the log I am getting the error.

But when I ran it interactively it finished successfully.

This seems an alien error to me...

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Have you tried running the code through interactive SAS?  What SAS code is running before that error pops up in the log? 

Sandy123
Calcite | Level 5

I've run the code both on ultraedit and interactively on EG.

On ultraedit I got "ERROR: System file lock limit exceeded."  but it ran fine interactively.

But next time I need to run it interactively.

Any help on this would be appreciated Smiley Happy

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Oh, its Enterprise Guide your using.  I am afraid I don't use this, I would assume your executing something like ...\sas.exe "program" from Ultraedit, so maybe your intialisation is not happening correctly.  Afraid I can't be much more help on that, maybe an IT ticket.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Hi, Sandy

I'm a little confused.

If I understand correctly, you're using ultraedit as a text editor to create SAS code. Then, when you copy it into EG and run it, it runs fine.

To me it sounds like you don't have any problems with SAS.

However, I am confused when you say you run it on ultraedit. If you'd expand a little on how you're doing this, it might make it easier to figure out the problem.

Tom

Sandy123
Calcite | Level 5

Tom, actually I'd multiple codes to run. I made them batch submitable and consolidated using %include in another code and by using some 'nohup' command in ultraedit I batched the code and I got the stated error.

But when I ran the codes in EG they ran perfectly.

Hope this is clear to you. You can let me know if you need further clarity Smiley Happy

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Two potential problems come to mind.

1) You are trying to run many versions of SAS at the same time.

2) You have mistakenly made your %INCLUDES recursive.

Sandy123
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tom for your reply.

I'll check the codes for your both points.

have a nice time Smiley Happy

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

This is an OS related issue with the setting of your user limits for file locks.  The difference between the invocations from EG and UltraEdit must be missing a configuration increasing your default setting for ulimit.  It is often necessary for SAS to require increased limits for number of processes and open files.

Here is a usage note on the topic:

38040 - Setting umask and ulimit values for SAS® sessions on UNIX and Linux

I am not familiar with UltraEdit and how it instantiates submissions to SAS.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation