BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JackHP
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I would like to create a variable, "LastStress", that would pull the last non-missing observation from a series of variables that have the same prefix and different suffixes that correlate to visits (my data is in a "wide" format).

Example

Have:

ID Stress1 Stress5 Stress10 Stress15 Stress20

1     10           8            .              3             .

2      3            2            .              .              .

3      15           .            .              .             10

Want:

ID Stress1 Stress5 Stress10 Stress15 Stress20 LastStress

1     10           8            .              3             .          3

2      3            2            .              .              .          2

3     15           .             .              .             10        10

Any help on where to start with the initial code would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mkeintz
PROC Star

I would suggest avoiding constructing and traversing a loop altogether.  This task is what the COALESCE function was made for:

data have;
input ID Stress1 Stress5 Stress10 Stress15 Stress20;
cards;
1     10           8            .              3             .
2      3            2            .              .              .
3      15           .            .              .             10
;
data want;
   set have;
   laststress=coalesce(stress20,stress15,stress10,stress5,stress1);
run;

Of course, the above assume you know in advance the names of the individual stress variables.   If you don't know those names, or just want to generalize your solution, you can take a dip in the metadata via proc sql/dictionary, and make a macrovar (reverse_list below) listing the variables in reverse positional order:

proc sql noprint;
  select name into: reverse_list separated by ','
  from dictionary.columns where libname='WORK' and memname='HAVE'
  and upcase(name) like 'STRESS%' 
  order by varnum descending;
quit;
%put &=reverse_list;
data want;
  set have;
  laststress=coalesce(&reverse_list);
run;
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26
/* UNTESTED CODE */
data want;
    set have;
    array stress stress1 stress5 stress10 stress15 stress20;
    do i=1 to dim(stress);
        if not missing(stress(i)) then laststress=stress(i);
    end;
    drop i;
run;
--
Paige Miller
novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

HI @JackHP  You just need to reverse the LOOP and exit

data have;
cards;
;

data want;
set have;
array t stress1--stress20;
do _n_=dim(t) to 1 by -1;
 if not missing(t(_n_)) then do;
  laststress=t(_n_);
  leave;
  end;
end;
run;

And a little terser

data want;
set have;
array t stress1--stress20;
do _n_=dim(t) to 1 by -1 until(t(_n_)>.);
  laststress=t(_n_);
end;
run;

ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @JackHP 

You can try this code:

/* Retrieve the list of variables with the prefix "Stress" */
proc contents data=have out=list_var (keep = name where=(lowcase(name) like 'stress%')) noprint;
run;

proc sql noprint;
	select name into:list_var_stress separated by " " from list_var;
run;

/* Compute Laststress */
data want;
    set have;
    array stress (*) &list_var_stress;
    do i=1 to dim(stress);
        if stress(i) ne . then laststress=stress(i);
    end;
    drop i;
run;

Capture d’écran 2019-12-20 à 19.16.37.png

mkeintz
PROC Star

I would suggest avoiding constructing and traversing a loop altogether.  This task is what the COALESCE function was made for:

data have;
cards;
;
data want;
   set have;
   laststress=coalesce(stress20,stress15,stress10,stress5,stress1);
run;

Of course, the above assume you know in advance the names of the individual stress variables.   If you don't know those names, or just want to generalize your solution, you can take a dip in the metadata via proc sql/dictionary, and make a macrovar (reverse_list below) listing the variables in reverse positional order:

proc sql noprint;
  select name into: reverse_list separated by ','
  from dictionary.columns where libname='WORK' and memname='HAVE'
  and upcase(name) like 'STRESS%' 
  order by varnum descending;
quit;
%put &=reverse_list;
data want;
  set have;
  laststress=coalesce(&reverse_list);
run;
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

JackHP
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for sharing the coalesce function - this worked perfectly.

I used this to construct a macro as I wanted to repeat this with a series of variables (code below for anyone interested). Thank you!

%Macro lastvar(var);
data mvrx19.master;
set mvrx19.master;
last_&Var=coalesce(&var._20,&var._15,&var._10,&var._5,&var._1);
run;
%mend lastvar;

%lastvar(PSSNS);
%lastvar(PSS10NS);
%lastvar(PSS4NS);
%lastvar(dietfruit);
%lastvar(dietvet);
%lastvar(FI);

%Macro Charlastvar(var);
data mvrx19.master;
set mvrx19.master;
last_&Var=coalescec(&var._20,&var._15,&var._10,&var._5,&var._1);
run;%mend Charlastvar;

%Charlastvar(Physhealth);
%Charlastvar(MFA);

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@JackHP:

If you don't mind listing all the stress variables or a two-step process, I'd defer to @mkeintz's offer. Otherwise, you can try:

data have ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  input id stress1 stress5 stress10 stress15 stress20 ;                                                                                                                                                                                                         
  cards ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
1  10   8  .  3   .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
2   3   2  .  .   .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
3  15   .  .  .  10                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
run ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

data want ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  set have ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  laststress = input (scan (catx (".", of stress:), -1), f.) ;                                                                                                                                                                                                  
run ;              

The idea is that if you delimit the values with a period, it becomes indistinguishable from the period representing a missing value after the implicit num-to-char conversion by CATX.

Kind regards

Paul D. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation