BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
YuWeiLee
Calcite | Level 5

Hi everyone,

I am new to SAS, so there is a fundamental question that I want to ask for help.
I have the list of all company of SEC 10K Filing date as follows:

Filing Date 

04/29/1993

11/12/1993

11/29/1993

My condition:

if the date is before 5/30 and it should be the fiscal year 1992, otherwise it is 1993

So the output will be

Filing Date        Fiscal Year

04/29/1993            1992

11/12/1993            1993

11/29/1993            1993

Is there any way to get the right fiscal year?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Welcome to the SAS Communities 🙂

you can do like this

data have;
input FilingDate :mmddyy10.;
format FilingDate mmddyy10.;
datalines;
04/29/1993
11/12/1993
11/29/1993
;

data want;
    set have;
    if FilingDate ge mdy(5,30,year(FilingDate)) then FiscalYear=year(FilingDate);
    else FiscalYear=year(FilingDate)-1;
run;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Welcome to the SAS Communities 🙂

you can do like this

data have;
input FilingDate :mmddyy10.;
format FilingDate mmddyy10.;
datalines;
04/29/1993
11/12/1993
11/29/1993
;

data want;
    set have;
    if FilingDate ge mdy(5,30,year(FilingDate)) then FiscalYear=year(FilingDate);
    else FiscalYear=year(FilingDate)-1;
run;
YuWeiLee
Calcite | Level 5
It's always May 30.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Then you should take @PeterClemmensen 's solution.

A slight modification uses the ifn() function:

fiscalyear = ifn(filingdate ge mdy(5,30,year(filingdate)),year(filingdate),year(filingdate)-1));
FloydNevseta
Pyrite | Level 9

If you are using the filing date from SEC's EDGAR database, then you can't determine with absolute certainty the fiscal year from the filing date of the 10-k. Those are always filed after the fiscal year ends to give companies time to compile the results and prepare the filing. For example, the company I work for filed their 10-k for FY ending 12/31 on 2/6/2019 a little over a month after.

Since the deadline for filing a 10-k with the SEC is generally 60-90 days after the fiscal year ends, a better approach would be...  

year(FilingDate - 60)

... which is only an approximation but should work in most cases. For example, Google filed their latest 10-k on 2/6/19, so the FY calculation would correctly yield 2018. It also works for retailers like Target and Wal-Mart whose fiscal years end in January. Historically, their 10-k's are usually filed in March, so the calculation would correctly generate a fiscal year in the same year as the filing.

YuWeiLee
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I think you are right, and I forget that my date isn't the end of the fiscal date! Could you tell me how I can modify the code base on draycut's? I am not familiar with SAS and afraid that I enter the wrong code Smiley Mad

Is it right?

if FDATE ge mdy(5,30,year(FDATE - 60)) then FiscalYear=year(FDATE - 60);
else FiscalYear=year(FDATE - 60);

Many thanks!!

FloydNevseta
Pyrite | Level 9

Another complication: If you look in the section "Notes to Consolidated Financial Statements", there's a paragraph that describes how the financial data is consolidated including a definition of fiscal year. Target describes fiscal year 2018 as ending 2/2/2019 while Wal-mart defines fiscal 2019 as ending 1/31/2019. So while both companies use Feb-Jan fiscal year, each defines the year differently. Good luck.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation