BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
NonSleeper
Quartz | Level 8

My survey collected data sets at hierarchical locations that I now want to append them. They consist of the same variables for the most part, but there are some variables in this data set while not in others and vice versa, so I intend to use SET statement.

My question arises because, when importing data from Excel, there are a few variables defined as numeric in some data sets and character in others, perhaps due to data entry process. This in turn makes the program not work.

So is there a remedy to this problem?

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Make them all the same. Unfortunately that's a manual process, best done in the import step in my opinion.

Ksharp
Super User

The most convenient way is use SQL . SAS will take care of everything.

proc sql;

create table want as

select * from one

union all

select * from two ;

quit;

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Won't work.

data have1;

x = 'X';

run;

data have2;

x = 1;

run;

proc sql;

select * from have1 union all select * from have2;

quit;

produces

ERROR: Column 1 from the first contributor of UNION ALL is not the same type as its counterpart from the second.

Ksharp
Super User

Sorry about that . I must be confused about something

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Set up a solid import process from Excel (best with .csv as transport file format) and determine the variable type in the data step that reads the data. Then everything else in SAS is a breeze.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Quite agree with KurtBremser, your problem is with using Excel not with SAS.  Excel is not a tool for <insert whatever you think to do with Excel here> and as such will cause you these kinds of headaches.  I would suggest, rather than exporting to CSV, you re-assess your source data (as that is now what your Excel workbook is) and by source data you would go through the steps of validating the software install, applying appropriate data-management to the workbook, keeping an audit history on the file etc. much like any data capture software (DB etc.) will do as they are applications written to do data capture.  Once you have run over the data cleaning in the sheet, ensured that everything matches, then you can export to CSV and import into SAS.

naveen_srini
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Non sleeper, If you are still awake, my suggestion would be to convert the numeric variables to character in one of your datasets using the below macro and append using Xia Keshan's code: union all.

So, you will have all variables as characters and as Kurt says it's now a breeze. But hey, for your future quantitave processing, you will have to convert back to numerics

%macro vars(dsn);

%let list=;
  %let type=;
  %let dsid=%sysfunc(open(&dsn));
  %let cnt=%sysfunc(attrn(&dsid,nvars));
   %do i = 1 %to &cnt;
    %let list=&list %sysfunc(varname(&dsid,&i));
    %let type=&type %sysfunc(vartype(&dsid,&i));
   %end;
  %let rc=%sysfunc(close(&dsid));

data want(drop=
    %do i = 1 %to &cnt;
     %let temp=%scan(&list,&i);
       _&temp
    %end;);
   set &dsn(rename=(
    %do i = 1 %to &cnt;
     %let temp=%scan(&list,&i);
       &temp=_&temp
    %end;));
    %do j = 1 %to &cnt;
     %let temp=%scan(&list,&j);
   /** Change C to N for numeric to character conversion  **/
     %if %scan(&type,&j) = N %then %do;
   /** Also change INPUT to PUT for numeric to character  **/
      &temp=PUT(_&temp,8.);
     %end;
     %else %do;
      &temp=_&temp;
     %end;
    %end;
  run;

%mend vars;

%vars(Your_input_dataset_name)

Regards,

Naveen Srinivasan

L&T Infotech

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 6 in conversation