BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Centrica
Calcite | Level 5

I’ve been looking at creating ORC tables in Hadoop(2.2) and have successfully used the DBCREATE_TABLE_OPTS on the table properties within SAS DI Studio(4.9) for registered or permanent tables (options do not stick on work tables registered to Hadoop libraries).

What I’ve not managed to do is find is where I can add details of the type of compression(E.G. Snappy) I’d like to use.

Has anyone had any success in doing this other than pass-through user written code?

2 REPLIES 2
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @Centrica

You may be able to add this to the DBCREATE_TABLE_OPTS= option. Here is the SQL I think will work.

STORED AS orc tblproperties ("orc.compress"="SNAPPY")

I am not sure how to do this with DI Studio, but it sounds like you have that sorted out. I will try this later today.

Best wishes,

Jeff

nar_sas
SAS Employee

One additional comment, if you use the SAS in-database hadoop code accelerator to read/write the data, Avro, Parquet, and Sequence files are automatically compressed using Snappy, assuming it is enabled on your hadoop system.  The DBCREATE_TABLE_OPTS setting is also available on the table properties in DI Studio.  

Nancy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation