BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Althaea
Fluorite | Level 6

Greetings,

I want to update a format on a frozen database that has an audit trail on it.

I know ALTER TABLE and Data steps will reset the audit trail which I must avoid. 

Is there a way through programming or other sas tools that would allow me to do this safely ? 

Deleting the format is also a solution if it can be done this way.

Thanks for your help,

Altha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

@Althaea wrote:
Hi ballardw,

Thanks for your answer.

I'm referring to format. My variable contains numeric biological values
with character informat.

My issue is that the current format contains special display (for instance
number 8 is for "not done"), but as my biological variable actually
contains numeric values so I want to switch format back to standard
character format.

Altha

This sounds like all you need is a complementary format to Display the values. This is very common:

proc format library=work;
invalue c
'green' = 1
'blue'  = 2
'red'   = 3
;
value c
1 = 'green'
2 = 'blue' 
3 = 'red' 
;
run;

data example;
   input x c.;
datalines;
red
green
blue
;

proc print data=example;
format x c.;
run; 

Note that for any practical purpose the display format can be used. It will create output that displays the given value for almost anything. The above example data set has an INFORMAT but we did not change the dataset to display the desired text values.

I suspect that I have around a 100 of these invalue / value pairs floating around. It is one of the common approaches to get sort orders if I want "green" to appear before "blue" in a graph or report table.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ballardw
Super User

Please describe your intent for "update a format" in this context. Please remember that FORMAT in SAS often refers to a display format for how to show the value of variables. If you mean something by the structure, such as variable order of data or contents such as the actual variables, then that would not typically be a "format" for many SAS users.

Althaea
Fluorite | Level 6
Hi ballardw,

Thanks for your answer.

with character informat.

character format.

Altha
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User
You can also just change the format when you USE the data. You can use a FORMAT statement in any proc or data step to attach a different format or remove the existing format.
proc print data=xxx; format Biologic_data ; run;
Note there is no reason to change the INformat for the variable after the dataset has already been created since it has already done its work.
ballardw
Super User

@Althaea wrote:
Hi ballardw,

Thanks for your answer.

with character informat.

character format.

Altha

This sounds like all you need is a complementary format to Display the values. This is very common:

proc format library=work;
invalue c
'green' = 1
'blue'  = 2
'red'   = 3
;
value c
1 = 'green'
2 = 'blue' 
3 = 'red' 
;
run;

data example;
   input x c.;
datalines;
red
green
blue
;

proc print data=example;
format x c.;
run; 

Note that for any practical purpose the display format can be used. It will create output that displays the given value for almost anything. The above example data set has an INFORMAT but we did not change the dataset to display the desired text values.

I suspect that I have around a 100 of these invalue / value pairs floating around. It is one of the common approaches to get sort orders if I want "green" to appear before "blue" in a graph or report table.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you can't touch the table the don't.  Perhaps you can meet your goal by creating a new view instead.

Either an SQL view:

proc sql;
  create view newlib.newview as
    select a,b,c format=newformat. 
    from oldlib.olddata 
  ;
quit;

Or a data step view:

data newlib.newview / view=newlib.newview ;
  set oldlib.olddata;
  format c newformat.;
run;
Althaea
Fluorite | Level 6
Tom,
Thanks for your answer.
Indeed I could use that to view the table but I'm aiming for a change as
the data could be reviewed by someone not having the knowledge of sas
format.

I can do whatever doesn't erase the audit trail.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Althaea wrote:
Tom,
Thanks for your answer.
Indeed I could use that to view the table but I'm aiming for a change as
the data could be reviewed by someone not having the knowledge of sas
format.

I can do whatever doesn't erase the audit trail.

I have lost track of what the real issue is here.  Why does it matter whether "someone" sees the formatted or raw values?  Can't you just explain to them how the data is structured?

Althaea
Fluorite | Level 6

Those are for a clinical trial study and they might be reviewed at some point and I may not even be there when that happen.

If this is the only solution, i'll leave instruction about how the data has to be read and the format being the wrong one but I was hoping to make the data clean.

I don't have sas right now but to have an idea the variable values would look something like that :

Table.png

Which can be missleading is a big way and even jeopardize the study as it impact biological critical values aswell.

And I can't reset the audit trail either, would be worse Smiley Frustrated.

Thanks for your time and help!

Edit : But to be honest, I have no idea about how the data are going to be rewiewed. Worries me a bit.

Althaea
Fluorite | Level 6

I'll go for your suggestions and make a different view for when it gets an audit. I'll leave instructions in case.

Thanks for your help !

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation