BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Betsy
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a 74 row excel sheet, 1 row variable names, 73 rows of data. When I import, over a million rows are imported - 73 data plus over a million of missing data ('.'). All the variables in these rows have this "missing" data. 

I tried options obs = 73 with no change. 

options obs = 73;

proc import datafile = 'data.xlsx'
out = data1
dbms = xlsx
replace;
datarow = 2;
run;

Any recommendations on how to just get the 73 rows of data would be greatly appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This happens when somebody did anything in the very last available row in the spreadsheet (e.g. type a blank). Since the maximum number of rows in Excel is 1M, your spreadsheet will then expand down to there, and SAS will import that.

Fix it in Excel (mark rows 75 to 1M, delete rows), or run a data step after the import with dataset option OBS=73 in the SET statement.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

This happens when somebody did anything in the very last available row in the spreadsheet (e.g. type a blank). Since the maximum number of rows in Excel is 1M, your spreadsheet will then expand down to there, and SAS will import that.

Fix it in Excel (mark rows 75 to 1M, delete rows), or run a data step after the import with dataset option OBS=73 in the SET statement.

Betsy
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you, that worked perfectly. I ended up using VBA in excel to delete the rows since there were so many rows to highlight, and I wasn't able to do a find and delete (other rows had actual missing data marked with '.' as well).

mkeintz
PROC Star

The global statement

OPTIONS OBS=73;

only applies to sas datasets being read.   As you have discovered, it does not control the number of observations that are written to a sas dataset.  You can prove this to yourself with the following demo program:

options obs=19;
data t;
  set sashelp.class;
  output;
  output;
run;

which generates the log notes:

NOTE: There were 19 observations read from the data set SASHELP.CLASS.
NOTE: The data set WORK.T has 38 observations and 5 variables.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
Krissy217
Calcite | Level 5

The obs=73 needs to be in the set statement.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation