BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fri0
Quartz | Level 8

HI, I'm doing a left join using a proc sql but I get this error: ERROR: Sort key definition failure.

This is a query that I've executed before without no problems:

proc sql;
create table work.data as select
a.codunicocli,
b.codclavecic,
b.apepatcli,
b.apematcli,
b.nbrcli
from work.febrero as a
left join ods_v.md_cliente as b on a.codunicocli=b.codunicocli;
quit;

Any suggestion to solve it? Thanks!

PD. I'm using SAS Enterprise Guide 7.1

4 REPLIES 4
JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @fri0 

This error usually occurs when SAS runs out of a resource. I would verify that SAS work has sufficient space.

Best wishes,
Jeff

fri0
Quartz | Level 8

I copied the second table to a table in the work library and the query works... This has no sense to me, if the problem would be space, I couldn't make a copy of any table right?

JBailey
Barite | Level 11

Hi @fri0 

Join processing can cause an increase in the size of data that is written to work. I am not sure where the space issue actually is, but this type of error is always a "Hey, I can't get enough of something" problem.

Best wishes,
Jeff

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@fri0 

A SQL left join requires implicit sorting of your source tables and though will create temporary utility files which might consume a multiple of the source table disc space. So just being able to copy a source table to WORK doesn't proof that you've got enough space.

System option UTILLOC points often to WORK.

To get as much WORK space as possible start a new session or delete tables in WORK before you run your SQL.

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation