BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
renaudguilbert
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone,

I had been using an ODBC to connect SAS to Athena for months. Now when I try to connect, it's throwing me this error:

ERROR: CLI open cursor error: [Simba][Athena] (1040) An error has been thrown from the AWS Athena
client. Athena Error No: 100, Error Message: No response body. [Execution ID:
edd966b7-12bc-4938-b461-276668116e36]

It's doing the same thing for everyone on my team. The ODBC still connects successfully and we can access the data through Python, so I'm pretty certain the problem stems from SAS.

Do you guys have any insights as to what's going on?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I think that's what SAS does when it catches an error from the database software, and doesn't know what else to do with it. I think the "Athena Error No: 100, Error Message: No response body." is what SAS is getting back from Athena. Can you look up that error number in the Athena documentation?

Are you sure you're successfully connecting to the database using ODBC from the same machine that's running the SAS session?

If so, maybe:
- credential changes?
- firewall / network changes?

You could take a look at the SASTRACE system option, using it might return some useful information.

Good luck!
Tom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I think that's what SAS does when it catches an error from the database software, and doesn't know what else to do with it. I think the "Athena Error No: 100, Error Message: No response body." is what SAS is getting back from Athena. Can you look up that error number in the Athena documentation?

Are you sure you're successfully connecting to the database using ODBC from the same machine that's running the SAS session?

If so, maybe:
- credential changes?
- firewall / network changes?

You could take a look at the SASTRACE system option, using it might return some useful information.

Good luck!
Tom

renaudguilbert
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

You were right, the issue was linked to a new firewall update that shut the connection down while it was being deployed. I checked with our IT department and the connection was restored when the deployment was complete.

Thank you!

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

I'm pleased to hear it!

Happy computing,

Tom

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation