BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

When I tried to execute the join transformation, I'm receiving the error as mentioned below. Appreciate if someone of you help me understand the likely cause for the issue.

ERROR: Correlated reference to column PRODUCER_SK is not contained within a subquery.

2392             udmtcom.F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM inner join
2393             udmtcom.D_POL_PRODUCT
2394                on
2395                (
2396                   F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM.PRODUCER_SK = D_PTY_PRODUCER.PRODUCER_SK
2397                   and F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM.PRODUCT_SK = D_POL_PRODUCT.PRODUCT_SK
2398                   and F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM.CUSTOMER_SK = D_PTY_PARTY.PARTY_SK
2399                   and F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM.POLICY_SK = D_POL_POLICY.POLICY_SK
2400                ),
2401             udmtcom.D_PTY_PARTY,
2402             udmtcom.D_POL_POLICY,
2403             udmtcom.D_REF_DATE,
2404             udmtcom.D_PTY_PRODUCER
2405          ;
ERROR: Correlated reference to column PRODUCER_SK is not contained within a subquery.
ERROR: Correlated reference to column PARTY_SK is not contained within a subquery.
ERROR: Correlated reference to column POLICY_SK is not contained within a subquery.
NOTE: PROC SQL set option NOEXEC and will continue to check the syntax of statements.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Babloo

If in the join properties IMPLICIT is set to NO then you need to formulate the join conditions per source available to the join. You can't just add all the logic to a single JOIN node as you've done it.

In below flow for the first JOIN table CLASS_2 is not available and though you can't add a join condition which references this table. If you do so then you'll get the error you observe and what the SAS Note referenced by @Kurt_Bremser explains.

Capture.JPG

Alternatively set the JOIN property to IMPLICIT = YES or right click on the JOIN node and select it from the drop down list. Then add a WHERE node and formulate all your join conditions there.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

See here: http://support.sas.com/kb/32/646.html

Note that this is the first hit of a google search for "sas ERROR: Correlated reference to column PRODUCER_SK is not contained within a subquery". See Maxim 6.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I'm unable to understand the solution for the issue. Could you please tell
me what should I do to resolve the issue?
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Inner joins can be more easily written as:

udmtcom.F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM,
  udmtcom.D_POL_PRODUCT,
  udmtcom.D_PTY_PARTY,
  udmtcom.D_POL_POLICY,
  udmtcom.D_REF_DATE,
  udmtcom.D_PTY_PRODUCER
where
  F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM.PRODUCER_SK = D_PTY_PRODUCER.PRODUCER_SK
  and F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM.PRODUCT_SK = D_POL_PRODUCT.PRODUCT_SK
  and F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM.CUSTOMER_SK = D_PTY_PARTY.PARTY_SK
  and F_PRM_WRITTEN_PREMIUM.POLICY_SK = D_POL_POLICY.POLICY_SK
;

Note that you have not yet specified a correlation for D_REF_DATE

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@Babloo

If in the join properties IMPLICIT is set to NO then you need to formulate the join conditions per source available to the join. You can't just add all the logic to a single JOIN node as you've done it.

In below flow for the first JOIN table CLASS_2 is not available and though you can't add a join condition which references this table. If you do so then you'll get the error you observe and what the SAS Note referenced by @Kurt_Bremser explains.

Capture.JPG

Alternatively set the JOIN property to IMPLICIT = YES or right click on the JOIN node and select it from the drop down list. Then add a WHERE node and formulate all your join conditions there.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation