BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
user24feb
Barite | Level 11

Hello,

is it possible (and how) to define a local SQL variable using ODBC-explicit-pass-through? I mean something like this:

Proc SQL;
  Connect To ODBC (DSN=<Source>);
  Create Table xx As 
  Select *
  From Connection To ODBC
  (
  Declare @Max_KeyDate

Select @Max_KeyDate = Max(KeyDate) From <view>

Select * From <view> Where Key_Date = @Max_KeyDate
  );
  Disconnect from ODBC;
Quit;

Thx & kind regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

A macro var is not an alternative, it is the only solution. SAS does not have SQL variables (and the declare statement) that you are used to. In SAS you use macro variables.

Format the date in the remote SQL to something you can easily use in SAS (eg, first convert to a YYYY-MM-DD string, and then take the max() of that). After that, do a quick conversion to a SAS date value:

%let max_key_date=2018-05-28; /* this is what you should get from the remote SQL call */

%let max_key_date=%sysfunc(inputn(&max_key_date,yymmdd10.));

%put &max_key_date;

data _null_;
td = today();
put td=;
run;

the data step is in there to show you that the conversion in the %sysfunc works.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Store in a macro variable:

Proc SQL;
  Connect To ODBC (DSN=<Source>);
  Create Table xx As 
  Select max_key_date into :max_key_date
  From Connection To ODBC
  (
  Select Max(KeyDate) as max_key_date From <view>
  );
  Disconnect from ODBC;
Quit;

After that, use &max_key_date where needed. Be aware that you might have to do a conversion so the SAS macro variable holds the correct numerical value for dates and datetimes, as the different RDBMS systems have different ways of storing, handling and displaying such values.

user24feb
Barite | Level 11

Yes, a macro var is an alternative, but in this case leads to an %unquote(%str( ..)). I only would like to know, if it's possible and what's the effort.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

A macro var is not an alternative, it is the only solution. SAS does not have SQL variables (and the declare statement) that you are used to. In SAS you use macro variables.

Format the date in the remote SQL to something you can easily use in SAS (eg, first convert to a YYYY-MM-DD string, and then take the max() of that). After that, do a quick conversion to a SAS date value:

%let max_key_date=2018-05-28; /* this is what you should get from the remote SQL call */

%let max_key_date=%sysfunc(inputn(&max_key_date,yymmdd10.));

%put &max_key_date;

data _null_;
td = today();
put td=;
run;

the data step is in there to show you that the conversion in the %sysfunc works.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Did you try running those three remote statements separately?

connect ... ;
execute (Declare @Max_KeyDate) by ODBC;
execute (Select @Max_KeyDate = Max(KeyDate) From <view>) by ODBC;
create table xx as 
  select *
  from connection to ODBC
  ( 
  Select * From <view> Where Key_Date = @Max_KeyDate
  );
disconnect ...;
user24feb
Barite | Level 11

When I combine execute (declare @MaxDate select @MaxDate = ..) it seems to work, at least I am not getting an error message. However, the local variable seems to be erased between the statements, so I cannot use it in the create-table-from-connection-statement. It seems it is something I just should not do.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation