BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ab97_cd
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I want to import data with columns "shop", "id", "2019-01-01", "2019-02-01", "2019-03-01", "2019-04-01". I have problem with date because SAS read it as "42455" etc. How can I fix it?

2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Save from Excel as csv, read with a data step where you use proper column names, then immediately transpose to a long format. After the transposition, convert the _name_ column to a SAS date column.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@ab97_cd wrote:

Hi,

I want to import data with columns "shop", "id", "2019-01-01", "2019-02-01", "2019-03-01", "2019-04-01". I have problem with date because SAS read it as "42455" etc. How can I fix it?

Variable names are character strings, not dates or numbers.  So if you tried to read an Excel file where the variable names were entered into the cells as dates instead of as strings then SAS will convert them into strings.

When SAS reads a date value from Excel as a string it gets the underlying number that Excel uses for that date converted into a character string.  To convert back to a date first convert them to a number and then add the negative value that SAS uses for the base date that Excel uses for dates.  Excel numbers from 1900 and SAS from 1960 but there is an additional 2 day difference because of difference in whether to count from zero or one and because Excel mistakenly treats 1900 as a leap year.

date = input(date_string,32.)+'30DEC1899'd ;
format date yymmdd10.;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation