BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
beamer108
Quartz | Level 8

I have a long running job that can process up to a million rows or more.  I have created a log file for the script that runs the job but it just shows which data process it is in which makes it difficult to determine if the job is running or hanging.  It can sit on the one workflow for several hours and I am not sure if its still processing or not . I would like to create a log file that gets produced and shows the number of records its received so I can see the progress it is making while the job is running.  Im assuming this is done in an expression node and uses maybe the print function or logmessage function?  I've tried a couple things but realizing I really have no idea how to accomplish this. Please help.  Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you are running this in DataFlux Management Studio you can easily open Windows Task Manager and see the CPU usage of DataFlux.

I'm not aware of any way for your log to include a row progress counter.

VincentRejany
SAS Employee

Hi

You can configure job level logging, but mind that it will affect performance negatively.

Have a look to the "unofficial" document attached, it gives few tips for configuring and using log files within the SAS DataFlux Data Management platform.

audrey
SAS Employee

Hello,

I would first make sure the job log is enabled. For Data Management Studio, that would be in dfwfproc.log.xml (look for the Additional Process Logging section). Once this is enabled, it will be default create a log for each of your job run. This log might already be enough for your needs.

If it not, you can indeed add an Expression Node in your job and use a code like this:

//Pre-processing Expression
integer rowcount
rowcount = 0

// Expression
rowcount = rowcount + 1
logmessage("This is processing Row Number " & rowcount)

This will add lines in your dfwfproc log, similar to:

2021-08-05T09:46:12,808 [00000189] DEBUG DF.StepEngine.Page - execute (Using logmessage.ddf)
2021-08-05T09:46:12,808 [00000189] INFO DF.StepEngine.Plugin.Expression - This is processing Row Number1
2021-08-05T09:46:12,808 [00000189] INFO DF.StepEngine.Plugin.Expression - This is processing Row Number2

Hope this helps.

Audrey

www.sas.comsupport.sas.com
SAS®... THE POWER TO KNOW®
beamer108
Quartz | Level 8

Audrey - sorry just getting back to this issue. Can the expression be created within the datajob or does it have to be in the process job?  I created a counter expression node within the datajob where I'd like to see the progress of record ingestion but the log file on the server just shows me the name of each node it processed and 100% completed. That is when I thought maybe its part of the process job and not within the data job where I need it. 

Thanks
Carrie

audrey
SAS Employee

Hi Carrie,

I hope you are doing well.

It can be created in a Data Job, it doesn't have to be in a Process Job. See this very simple example I created:

audrey_0-1632123669975.png

Did you make sure the Process Logging is enabled in the configuration file?

You might want to send your configuration file if you are not sure.

Thanks,

Audrey

beamer108
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Audrey 

I've attached the dfwproc file, it doesn't look like we have it turned on, but Im not exactly sure when it says Remove this line - how much of that line I am supposed to remove.  And will this slow down processing time for all our  jobs or only the jobs that contain an expression node that writes the counts to the log?

audrey
SAS Employee

I made the modifications to your file (the entire line needs to be deleted).

It will have a small impact on the performance, for all the jobs - we haven't enabled a DEBUG or TRACE level of logging, so the impact should be minimal.

Let me know if this helps.

Audrey

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation