BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yashpande
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi All,

I need an idea on how to proceed this.  I want to run a node (mostly it would be a user written node) till I get value updated from another table.

E.g. 

Code 1 /SQL Join transformation : 

Proc sql;

select user_name,user_id,email_address,lot_name,completed_flag,process_date from user_table where completed_flag=1 and process_date="&sysdate."d;

quit;

Code 2 : 

Send an email to user_name and email_address from Code1 ;

Now my requirement is to keep on checking for Code1 for entire day and the moment I get completed_flag's value as 1 , I need to send email to the  users.  In short, I need infinite while loop for Code1 till the day is completed. 

Any help/idea is appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
DmitryErshov
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello!

Why didn't you use scheduler (e.g. crontab in Linux) to execute your code ex. every 5 minutes and check for flag update?
yashpande
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes ultimately we are going to use LSF. But thats not the question. We need only 1 instance of execution and not rerun. In short only 1 infinite while loop and the moment flag value is 1 I need to break from the loop. Somehow I am not getting it.
DmitryErshov
Obsidian | Level 7

Please, provide the code of your loop.

TomKari
Onyx | Level 15

Easy, but what environment are you working in? EG, DMS, DIS?

Tom

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@yashpande

As already mentioned that's something which should be done via scheduling. But to answer your question: You can use CALL SLEEP() or the SLEEP() function to pause a process for a defined amount of time. Just use this within your loop until the condition becames TRUE. 

Once TRUE just jump out of the loop (using LEAVE).

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation