BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi

I am looking for advice how to connect to databases from Data Flux management Studio/Server using Data Flux ODBC Drivers. I could connect using drivers provided by applications like SQL Server or Teradata driver. I am trying to figure out what steps need to be taken to use Data Flux ODBC drivers.

I have followed below documentation link, as per step 5 seems like I need to update on server side which about to connect using the driver.
https://support.sas.com/documentation/onlinedoc/dfdmstudio/2.6/dmpdmsug/Content/dfU_T_DataConnODBC.h... 

For test, I am using SQLSERVER Express. but I had connectivity issues.

Could any one please guide me what steps to be taken at least for SQL Server connectivity?

Thanks,

Rama

8 REPLIES 8
SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Rama_V  - DataFlux Data Management Studio is a standalone product so you configure ODBC connections for DDMS on the same computer that it runs on as in the documentation link you provided.

Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks @SASKiwi 
I agree, I have done that and it works if I am running jobs only on Data Flux Management Studio with generic . Since I have write access on Desktop machine I can install ODBC drivers.

But I am promoting those jobs on to Data Flux Management server to execute.  I do not have authority to install the ODBC drivers on to the server or even the admins are not helpful around installing drivers. Where as creating connections with already installed Data Flux ODBC drivers easy to achieve. Problem I am facing using data flux ODBC drivers it is not working. 

Rama_V_1-1591922946317.png

Rama_V_0-1591922905790.png

As per the documentation link on point 5, if I am using DataFlux ODBC drivers I have to make some changes on RDBMS Server side protocols. Then I will face same problems negotiating with RDBMS admins in update the protocols.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@Rama_V  - You are correct that to run the same DataFlux jobs on the DQ server you will need to set up the same ODBC data sources. If your server administrators are not helpful then you really have a management problem. I suggest you escalate this to your manager for resolution.   

Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks, around the management suggestion I will definitely follow that.

From Technical perspective, what configurations need to be done to use Data flux ODBC drivers for connectivity?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

You configure the ODBC sources in the Windows ODBC administrator, exactly as you have already described. Since you are running the DataFlux Studio job on the server the setup is the same.

VincentRejany
SAS Employee

It is one best practice to name the ODBC connections the same way between clients and servers. If not possible you will have to use macros ie "%%ODBCSQL%%" and to specify the corresponding ODBC string in your local macro file.

Rama_V
Obsidian | Level 7

I will rephrase the question.  As highlighted below, there are drivers provided by Microsoft (Under Company Column) works for SQL Server and there are drivers under Data flux(under Company column) doesn't work for SQL Server. Why? what to be done to make it work?

Rama_V_0-1592265017938.png

Rama_V_1-1592265121230.png

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 16. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation