BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
JamesPower4
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello:  I have created an ODBC source on my PC to read from SQL Server.  When I test the ODBC connection it is successful; also I can view the SQL Server tables using Microsoft Access.  I'm using NT authentication.

However, I cannot create a SAS Libname that will also show or display the tables.  I've tried both the ODBC and OLEDB approaches.  In both cases the Libname is created successfully.  However, no tables are listed when I open that library.  Here's an example log, in which I cut code from a SAS technical paper ("Accessing a Microsoft SQL Server Database from SAS® under Microsoft Windows") and pasted it into SAS:

12 libname sqlsrv oledb;
NOTE: Libref SQLSRV was successfully assigned as follows:
Engine: OLEDB
Physical Name:
13 %put %superq(sysdbmsg); /* V9 syntax */
OLEDB: Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=True;Initial
Catalog=NCCA;Data Source=p2626xorth005

The above example displays prompts for the necessary Libname options, and then stores the values in %sysdbmsg.

Any ideas about what I'm missing?

Using Windows 10, SAS 9.4., and not sure of the SQL Server version

Thanks in advance.

Jim Power

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
libname test odbc dsn='dsn Name' schema=dbo;

Try something like above, with the dsn being the name you put in the ODBC connection and the schema being the schema you're trying to access. If it's multiple schema's you'll need a new libname for each of them. 

@JamesPower4 wrote:

Hello:  I have created an ODBC source on my PC to read from SQL Server.  When I test the ODBC connection it is successful; also I can view the SQL Server tables using Microsoft Access.  I'm using NT authentication.

However, I cannot create a SAS Libname that will also show or display the tables.  I've tried both the ODBC and OLEDB approaches.  In both cases the Libname is created successfully.  However, no tables are listed when I open that library.  Here's an example log, in which I cut code from a SAS technical paper ("Accessing a Microsoft SQL Server Database from SAS® under Microsoft Windows") and pasted it into SAS:

12 libname sqlsrv oledb;
Physical Name:
OLEDB: Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=True;Initial

The above example displays prompts for the necessary Libname options, and then stores the values in %sysdbmsg.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Power

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User
libname test odbc dsn='dsn Name' schema=dbo;

Try something like above, with the dsn being the name you put in the ODBC connection and the schema being the schema you're trying to access. If it's multiple schema's you'll need a new libname for each of them. 

@JamesPower4 wrote:

12 libname sqlsrv oledb;
Physical Name:

Thanks in advance.

Jim Power

JamesPower4
Fluorite | Level 6

Reza:  Many thanks!  That was the problem - I wasn't specifying the schema.

Again, many many thanks.

Jim Power

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation