BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gyambqt
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello experts,

I can not find a place for SAS Data Intergration so I will leave my question here.

I have a target oracle table that contain null value for some columns. I want to replace the null value with a space ' ' in oracle so I thought BL_PRESERVE_BLANKS=YES option in the bulk load will insert a blank for the null value. But it doesn't and I want to know how to make it working.

so DI flow chart like: source SAS table (with blank for some columns)------>bulk load (BL_PRESERVE_BLANKS=YES)----->Target oracle table (still null value)

I found update transform in DI is working too but want to explore if BL_PRESERVE_BLANKS=YES option in bulk load gives you same result.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
This is definitelythe right place!
Please share the code/log from your trial, along with the table definition (in Oracle) for the target table.
Data never sleeps
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@gyambqt

Bulk loading is for loading a source SAS table into a database table. 

From what you write your source table is already in Oracle and you just want to replace NULL values for CHAR and VARCHAR2 with a single blank. That would be a SQL UPDATE.

If you're using pass-through SQL then you could use Oracle function NVL() or NVL2() for this task.

gyambqt
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Patrick,

It was my mistake, the source table was stored as SAS table and loaded to oracle through bulk load with bl_preserve_blank=yes. but I can still see null value when I do select column1 from oracletable where column1 is null

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@gyambqt

What's the Oracle data type of this column1?

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@gyambqt

How? Can you share what in the end the issue was and how you've resolved it?

gyambqt
Obsidian | Level 7

Sure, I set the column to DBnull cannot be null and then BL_PRESERVE_BLANKS=YES works

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation