BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Matthew
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I have a dataset that looks like this: 

data.JPG

I need to get the information for each BUID into a single row. I know how to do this with arrays and do loops, but only when there's a fixed number of iterations, and I know what that number is. In this case, some BUIDs have more purchases than others for a given time period, and so the number of observations (and times the loop has the iterate) is variable.

Currently my code looks like this: 

data rfm162.fy13_p4_array2;
    retain
    booked_date1-booked_date100
    dmd1-dmd100
    mbtwn1-mbtwn100
    ;

rename count=order_count_fy13_p4 RNCY=rncy_today;
label RNCY='rncy_today';

set rfm162.fy13_p4_array;
by curr_wg_buid booked_date;

format booked_date1-booked_date100 datetime20.;

array bd(100) booked_date1-booked_date100;
array money(100) dmd1-dmd100;
array mbtwn(100) mbtwn1-mbtwn100;

do i=1 to 100;

if i>count then do;
        bd(i)=.;
        money(i)=.;
        mbtwn(i)=.;
        continue;
    end;
    if i=count then do;
        bd(i)=booked_date;
        money(i)=dmd;
    end;
        if i>=2 then do;
        m=i-1;
        mbtwn(i)=((bd(i)-bd(m))/2592000);
    end;
end;

dmd_average_fy13_p4=mean(of dmd1-dmd100);
dmd_total_fy13_p4=sum(of dmd1-dmd100);

mbtwn_average_fy13_p4=mean(of mbtwn1-mbtwn100);

drop dmd1-dmd100 mbtwn1-mbtwn100 dmd booked_date booked_date1-booked_date100 i m;
if last.curr_wg_buid;

run;

This code works, but it's messy in the sense that I might be cutting off a couple of transactions for some customers who made more than 100 transactions. Additionally, when I'm looking at a shorter time period, I've got to either do freq to figure out what the new max number of observations is, or make a relatively arbitrary guess. How can I get the do loop to figure out how many iterations it should loop for me in order to match the maximum number of observations for each BUID? I've got a feeling it has something to do with the *, based on my research, but I haven't been able to get that to work. I get weird "variable outside of array" type messages.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
You'll have to scan your data to find the maximum since you do need to declare a length for the arrays. You can store it in a macro variable and use that to declare your array lengths.
I would say, that's a inefficient/bad way to store your data, especially if you have 100 transactions per customer.

array bd(&array_size) booked_date1-booked_date&array_size;
array money(&array_size) dmd1-dmd&array_size;
array mbtwn(&array_size) mbtwn1-mbtwn&array_size;
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Why not just use three transposes and merge the result back.  This is probably the simplest method as you don't need to know number of elements.  I posted about this in a very similar topic earlier:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/Base-SAS-Programming/sas-enquiry/m-p/239140#M43961

Otherwise, you can get the number of elements by:

proc sql noprint;
  select max(element_number) 
  into  :max_elements
  from have;
quit;

data want;
  array a{&max_elements.} 8.;
  do i=1 to &max_elements.;

Why the need to transpose?  Is it just for for an output file, if not then remain with the normalised structure, its far easier to program with. 

Matthew
Fluorite | Level 6

This looks great, exactly what I need. Thank you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation