BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AshJuri
Calcite | Level 5
Hi everyone, below is my working program that I would like to update.

data have
;input Subject Type $ 5-12 Procedure $ 15-22 Measurement;datalines; 500 Initial Invasive 20 500 Initial Surface 35 500 Followup Invasive 54 428 Followup Outer 29 765 Seventh Other 13 500 Followup Surface 98 428 Initial Outer 10 765 Initial Other 19 610 Third Invasive 66 610 Initial Invasive 17 ; data want (drop=rc _Measurement); if _N_ = 1 then do; declare hash h (dataset : "have (rename=(Measurement=_Measurement) where=(Type='Initial'))"); h.definekey ('Subject'); h.definedata ('_Measurement'); h.definedone(); end; set have; _Measurement=.; if Type ne 'Initial' then rc = h.find(); Measurement = sum (Measurement, -_Measurement);run;

The goal is to subtract the numbers in the "MEASUREMENT" column based on the "SUBJECT",
"TYPE" and “PROCEDURE” columns. If two values in the “SUBJECT” column match and two values
in the “PROCEDURE” column match, then the initial measurement should be subtracted from the
other measurement. For example, the initial measurement in row 1 (20) should be subtracted from
the followup measurement in row 3 (54) because the subject (500) and procedure (Invasive) match.
Furthermore, the initial measurement in row 8 (19) should be subtracted from the seventh
measurement in row 5 (13) because the subject (765) and procedure (Other) match.
The result should form the "OUTPUT" column.

How can I account for missing values in the "measurement" column and
keep them without being affected in the "output" column??
In addition, I noticed that this program updates the "measurement" column.
How can I have the updates be created in a new column called "output" while keeping the "measurement" column?
2 REPLIES 2
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Here is a hashing solution. I created a single missing value in your data for demonstration.

data have;
input Subject Type $ 5-12 Procedure $ 15-22 Measurement;
datalines;
500 Initial   Invasive  20 
500 Initial   Surface   35 
500 Followup  Invasive  54 
428 Followup  Outer     29 
765 Seventh   Other     13 
500 Followup  Surface   .  
428 Initial   Outer     10 
765 Initial   Other     19 
610 Third     Invasive  66 
610 Initial   Invasive  17 
;

data want (drop=rc _Measurement);
   if _N_ = 1 then do;
      declare hash h (dataset : "have (rename=(Measurement=_Measurement) where=(Type='Initial'))");
      h.definekey ('Subject');
      h.definedata ('_Measurement');
      h.definedone();
   end;

set have;
   _Measurement=.;

if Type ne 'Initial' then rc = h.find();
   NewMeasurement = ifn(Measurement=., ., sum (Measurement, -_Measurement));
run;  

ballardw
Super User

Please only post code or log results in the code boxes. Long narratives can be very hard to read. The main message window will flow text better as that is the purpose. The code box is better for actual code and log.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to connect to databases in SAS Viya

Need to connect to databases in SAS Viya? SAS’ David Ghan shows you two methods – via SAS/ACCESS LIBNAME and SAS Data Connector SASLIBS – in this video.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation