BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
tfabri
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi SAS Experts,

Currently, I am working with 9 subjects in CI. So, I need to create an export collecting data from two subject tables (Customers and Sales) as an internal join between these tables.

E.G.:

Customers.id

Customers.firstname

Customers.lastname

Sales.id

Sales.invoice

Sales.dateoofsale

Sales.Representative

I believe that this is possible through Node Process. I tried to create it many times, without success.

Does anyone have an example to do this?

Regards,

TF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dmitry_Alergant
Pyrite | Level 9

There seems to be much more to this question...

In order to be able to export fields from multiple tables in the same export, one needs to control and fine-tune Information Map folder visibility level by subject levels (SUBJECT_ID_1=...). All data items required for the export (or the folders where they are located) need to be "visible" to the subject level of this export.

At the same time, having 9(!) subject levels in SAS MA seems like an unnecessary overcomplication. Out of several dozen SAS MA implementations that my team has seen, including some very complex ones, only one required this many subject levels (and that implementation was really unique in many ways).

Having 9 tables or star schemas the information map each representing a separate business entity is not unusual. But every table containing an entity (like a Sales Order) does not necessarily require a separate subject level to be defined. Quite a lot of things can be achieved just with infomapping the data and without introducing new subject levels, especially when Communications don't need to happen on that level;

Based on a few recent questions, it appears that the topic starter has embarked on a complex SAS MA implementation (with CDM, third-party integrations, complex data mart) and tries to self-navigate the entire process... That's great on one hand, but unfortunately it's too easy to screw up a SAS MA implementation on many levels (and only realize what was done wrong after a significant time comes by and end-users encounter issues, challenges, and limitations). Perhaps, the Topic Starter's company should consider engaging SAS services, or an experienced 3rd party partner organization to consult or assist in such an implementation... 

-------
Dmitriy Alergant, Tier One Analytics

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JamesAnderson
SAS Employee

Hi,

To create an export file or table you need to use an Export Definition in either the Export node or the Communication Node.

When creating the export definition you will be able to choose the fields from your information map and add the field you want in the output. Export definitions are created in the Definitions Workspace inside CI Studio.

Regards

James

Dmitry_Alergant
Pyrite | Level 9

There seems to be much more to this question...

In order to be able to export fields from multiple tables in the same export, one needs to control and fine-tune Information Map folder visibility level by subject levels (SUBJECT_ID_1=...). All data items required for the export (or the folders where they are located) need to be "visible" to the subject level of this export.

At the same time, having 9(!) subject levels in SAS MA seems like an unnecessary overcomplication. Out of several dozen SAS MA implementations that my team has seen, including some very complex ones, only one required this many subject levels (and that implementation was really unique in many ways).

Having 9 tables or star schemas the information map each representing a separate business entity is not unusual. But every table containing an entity (like a Sales Order) does not necessarily require a separate subject level to be defined. Quite a lot of things can be achieved just with infomapping the data and without introducing new subject levels, especially when Communications don't need to happen on that level;

Based on a few recent questions, it appears that the topic starter has embarked on a complex SAS MA implementation (with CDM, third-party integrations, complex data mart) and tries to self-navigate the entire process... That's great on one hand, but unfortunately it's too easy to screw up a SAS MA implementation on many levels (and only realize what was done wrong after a significant time comes by and end-users encounter issues, challenges, and limitations). Perhaps, the Topic Starter's company should consider engaging SAS services, or an experienced 3rd party partner organization to consult or assist in such an implementation... 

-------
Dmitriy Alergant, Tier One Analytics
tfabri
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Dmitriy, 

Thank you so much for your answer.  You are right. Actually, I did a mistake - I already configure again and now I have only 2 subjects. Every exports are working as well.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

TF

How to improve email deliverability

SAS' Peter Ansbacher shows you how to use the dashboard in SAS Customer Intelligence 360 for better results.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation