BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed

It pays off to be a team player in the World Cup

Started ‎06-25-2014 by
Modified ‎10-05-2015 by
Views 2,144

“There’s no ‘I’ in team,” my mother, coaches and teachers said to me growing up – as I’m sure yours did too. And they were right! A successful team plays well together, passes often and understands the power of working together.

In my old soccer days, I slit my eyes at “show boaters” on my team – those that took the ball solo through a few defenders and then were stopped just before scoring. Why didn’t she just pass it, let her teammates help?

This matrix, based on 2010 World Cup data, shows a strong relationship between passing and winning.

2010WorldCup_Passes_Wins.png

Quick tip: darker color = higher correlation. The World Cup data came from The Guardian and the GDP data came from the World Bank’s public site.

AllAnalytics Executive Editor Michael Steinhart points out teamwork in his commentary on the matrix:

I like the correlation between wins and "shots excluding blocked," which shows that the more shots you take, the higher your chances of success, and the correlation between wins, points scored, and total passes, which is a strong testament to the power of teamwork.

Can you attest to the value of working as a team in your professional or personal life? What other connections are worth noting from this graph? Keep following this community for other SAS Visual Analytics graphs on the World Cup.

Version history
Last update:
‎10-05-2015 04:46 PM
Updated by:

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!

Free course: Data Literacy Essentials

Data Literacy is for all, even absolute beginners. Jump on board with this free e-learning  and boost your career prospects.

Get Started

Article Labels
Article Tags