BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
odaouk0
Calcite | Level 5

I have followed the steps for (Setup Instructions for SAS OnDemand for Academics: SAS Studio) however when I run the code it's giving me errors. I am not sure why it isn't working since I am following exact steps and I haven't modified or changed the code. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

In looking at your screen shot, I see the following issue:

bad_loc_folder.png

You have placed the EPG194 folder UNDER the SASUSER folder. This is the incorrect location. Please review the video for how to make the data again. If you notice in the video, the instructor highlights the Files (Home) icon and then chooses New Folder. And in the video, starting at time stamp 2:14, you will see the instructor is making the EPG194 folder directly under Files (Home). The EPG194 folder is expected to be DIRECTLY under the Files(Home) "root" folder.

I suggest you move your EPG194 folder so that it is NOT under the SASUSER folder and then try to run the program again.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Reeza
Super User
Can you post the errors you're getting so we can help you debug the issue?

And just to confirm, you are using SAS Academics on Demand, not SAS University Edition? You didn't need to install Oracle VirtualBox?
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

In looking at your screen shot, I see the following issue:

bad_loc_folder.png

You have placed the EPG194 folder UNDER the SASUSER folder. This is the incorrect location. Please review the video for how to make the data again. If you notice in the video, the instructor highlights the Files (Home) icon and then chooses New Folder. And in the video, starting at time stamp 2:14, you will see the instructor is making the EPG194 folder directly under Files (Home). The EPG194 folder is expected to be DIRECTLY under the Files(Home) "root" folder.

I suggest you move your EPG194 folder so that it is NOT under the SASUSER folder and then try to run the program again.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

odaouk0
Calcite | Level 5
Hi Cynthia,
Thanks for replying, I was able to notice that this morning and make that change. I was actually still having issues loading it all day today. I signed in and ran it again five minuets ago and it worked!
odaouk0
Calcite | Level 5
And correct I am using SAS on demand.
odaouk0
Calcite | Level 5
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Communities-Library/How-to-access-data-for-SAS-Programming-1-cour...
This is the video for the setup, i am following it, however when i run the code it doesnt produce the output tables and the files for the course. I get the following notes showing up in the log page.
Can anyone help?
NOTE: The quoted string currently being processed has become more than 262 bytes long. You might have unbalanced quotation marks.
The meaning of an identifier after a quoted string might change in a future SAS release. Inserting white space between a quoted string and the succeeding identifier is recommended.
u50229367
Calcite | Level 5
Well, my issue remains that I needed to navigate to the location of my course data. I was attending lesson 2 with Stacey Syphus on SAS programming 1: essentials. Can find my way into the location. Thank you. u50229367
Reeza
Super User
What issue? Is it the same issue as above as your account is not the same. I would suggest posting a new question with the details of what you're trying to do and what errors or what isn't working. It isn't clear what your issue is and posting to an older posts means only people who answered this question initially will see your new question.

You would need to also specify if you're using SAS University Edition or On Demand for Academics - this question relates to On Demand.
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

@Reeza is correct. This post you've added to is old and not many people will see it. The very first thing you need to do in the Programming 1 class is use the right set of instructions to make the data. This original post was about SAS OnDemand for Academics and making the data for the class. The original student had created the incorrect folder structure.

So, let's identify how you're using SAS first. Here's the very first thing we need to know to help you:

1) Are you using SAS OnDemand for Academics (option a) or SAS University Edition in a Virtual Machine (option b)?  There are other methods, but those are the 2 primary independent user methods so we'll start with that. Assuming you are using SAS Studio, open SAS Studio and look for Server Files and Folders pane on the left and bring it into the active area on the left side of the screen. At the top of the Server Files and Folders pane, you should see either

Files (Home) -- for option a SAS OnDemand for Academics or

My Folders -- for option b SAS University Edition in a Virtual Machine.

If you are not using either of these methods or using SAS Studio, then we will need to know EXACTLY how you are using SAS and what your interface is (some examples: using SAS Enterprise Guide, using local SAS on my work machine, etc).

2) Assuming you have identified your version of using SAS, then you need to go back to the Course Overview and Data Setup section of the course and make sure you've followed the correct instructions for your method of using SAS. The instructions inside class are NOT "one-size-fits-all" -- the instructions are very specific to each method of using SAS. As an example, the OnDemand instructions will NOT work in University Edition or, as another example, the OnDemand instructions would not work with SAS Enterprise Guide. When you run the correct program for your method of using SAS, are there any error messages in the LOG? If there are error messages, do not do anything else until those error messages are resolved or you make the data correctly. We would need to see the log from your setup program if you have errors. Typically the first error at the top of the program is all we need to see since most of the other errors will cascade from that first one.

3) This original posting was from a time when we only had 1 version of Programming 1 which used a top folder named "EPG194" -- and since this original posting, we've updated the class to use a DIFFERENT top folder name of "EPG1V2" -- The instructions for the class tell you what folder name to set up. Which version of the class are you taking? The EPG194 version or the EPG1V2 version?

4) You showed an error message about a quoted string. This type of error is from mismatched quotes or using quotes without proper spacing. Typically, this is the type of error you might get when you submit your own code with quote issues. However we have thoroughly tested all the data creation programs and when I test ALL 5 setups, I do not generate any code with errors. It is usually quite easy to bypass the quote issue -- just end your session of SAS and get back in. Quote problems are typically fixed when you end the session with the quote type error. However, since none of our data creation programs generate that error, as written, there must be some other code you submitted that caused the error. Again, knowing how you're using SAS, knowing what set of instructions you followed, and knowing what the EXACT error was when you submitted the data creation program would be most useful in helping you.

I hope these questions help you debug your issues. We have so many students taking Programming 1 as e-learning and using SAS Studio. Most of the issues that students have setting up the data have to do with these scenarios:

1) Following the wrong set of instructions

2) Following the right set of instructions but setting up the folder structure incorrectly (for example, putting the class folder under sasuser folder or putting the class folder under Folder Shortcuts or misspelling the folder name)

3) Going to Lesson 1 without doing the setup at all

4) Downloading and unzipping the zip file from the instructions, but stopping there and not doing any of the rest of the instructions

If you can post some specific answers to these questions, we may be able to help you.

Cynthia

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

LIBNAME 101

Follow along as SAS technical trainer Dominique Weatherspoon expertly answers all your questions about SAS Libraries.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation