BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
js5
Pyrite | Level 9 js5
Pyrite | Level 9

Dear community,

I am trying to sort the sashelp.cars dataset by the values in the individuals type groups:

proc report data=sashelp.cars;
	columns make type, horsepower;
	define make /group;
	define type /across;
	define horsepower /max;

So the final output should sort by Wagon BHP, then by Truck BHP, etc. Is this possible without having to transpose and pre-sort the dataset? Thank you for your help in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
unison
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

If you can't do it with order= option such as

define type /across order=data;

Then it's far less trouble to just pre-sort the data in the way you want the across columns to appear.

-unison
ed_sas_member
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi @js5 

I would add 'descending' to the DEFINE statement:

define type /across descending;

In fact, order = data sorts the categories in the order that the variable values are encountered in the data set.

The default order, which is 'formatted' sort the data by the variable’s formatted values.

in your case, I understand that you want an alphabetical descending order.

Best,

js5
Pyrite | Level 9 js5
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you both for your responses! Unfortunately, all the options do is change the order of the type columns. What I need is to sort the make by the max BHP values in the specific colums:

1. first by max SUV BHP
  2. then by max Sedan BHP
  3. then by max Sports BHP

etc. Is this possible with proc report alone, or would I need to transpose the data first?

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
You cannot order the ACROSS items by the value of the statistic. In your program, you are asking PROC REPORT to calculate the MAX of horsepower, so PROC REPORT will not calculate the MAX and then also order by the calculated max. In this instance, you would need to make 2 passes through the data -- one to calculate the max horsepower for each type and then you'd sort by MAX horsepower within type. Then the next (probably using PROC REPORT) to display the already calculated max values and here's where ORDER=DATA will come in handy if you've already calculated the max and ordered.

Cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation