BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
gelobter
Calcite | Level 5

I have a 9 GB file I'm trying to run analysis on. SAS Studio fails after reading about 2 million observations.  There must be a way to adjust the settings in SAS or the virtualization environment (I'm using VMWARE fusion).  Any ideas?  We're on a deadline...thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your log suggests you have run out of disk space not memory. Where is your WORK library pointing to? If it is your hard drive check how much free space you have.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Can you post the SAS error messages? Usually the SAS option MEMSIZE is the first one to look at. You can find out what the setting for this is using PROC OPTIONS. In our SAS environment, which also runs on VMWARE, we have MEMSIZE set to 2G (2 GByte)

gelobter
Calcite | Level 5

will try  the memory settings. Meanwhile here are the messages:

biobased=0 BPAfree=0 earthkeeper=0 lyocell=0 PVCfree=0 eco=0 solar=0 MetaCert=0 MetaKW=0 MetaMod=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=20

ERROR: Insufficient space in file WORK.EBAYDATA.DATA.

ERROR: File WORK.EBAYDATA.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.

NOTE: 2169773 records were read from the infile '/folders/myfolders/1301.tsv'.

The minimum record length was 246.

The maximum record length was 622.

NOTE: SAS went to a new line when INPUT statement reached past the end of a line.

NOTE: Missing values were generated as a result of performing an operation on missing values.

Each place is given by: (Number of times) at (Line):(Column).

821 at 92:21        3 at 101:77         4 at 101:86         606 at 101:92       2168125 at 103:26  

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

WARNING: The data set WORK.EBAYDATA may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 2168946 observations and 137

variables.

WARNING: Data set WORK.EBAYDATA was not replaced because this step was stopped.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           33.16 seconds

cpu time            32.94 seconds

gelobter
Calcite | Level 5

SAS Studio Proc Options does not seem to allow the MEMSIZE option

Bill-D
Fluorite | Level 6
How do you adjust the settings. I too run out of work space. And I'm also running the Virtual box on a Mac
Reeza
Super User

What version of SAS are you on exactly? Analytics version or the Academic?

gelobter
Calcite | Level 5

SAS University Edition Releas 3.1 operating within VMWARE Fusion.

Reeza
Super User

Pretty sure that is a 2GB VM that cannot be changed. It is intended for learning purposes so that makes some sense. 

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Your log suggests you have run out of disk space not memory. Where is your WORK library pointing to? If it is your hard drive check how much free space you have.

gelobter
Calcite | Level 5

That was it. I guess the disk in the virtual machine was too small. once i figured out a libname pointing to an external file the problem was solved.

thank you!

MoSaidan
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I was just reading your thread. I too have "ERROR: Insufficient space in file".

How did you fix it exactly? I am used to the SAS 9.4 but not the virtual environment SAS. I keep reading about redirecting the WORK folder to a physical location, but I am not tech savvy enough to understand how to do that exactly. I am using Oracle VM Virtualbox.

Thank you!

-M

Ksharp
Super User

add  OPTIONS USER='/folders/myfold/';    before your code which will re-direct WORK library to /folders/myfold/  .

MoSaidan
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much!

I will try it ASAP.

Regards,

M

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation