BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nata
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution how to disable content coping in powerpoint presentation made by ODS POWERPOINT. Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Tim_SAS
Barite | Level 11

There is no such option. Depending on what you want to do, you might be able to add various types of protection to your presentation with PowerPoint. See this page, for example.

nata
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your answer, but this is not what I need. I need powerpoint (pdf could be a possibility also) file without any password protection, but with contents impossible to copy (preferable option) or edit. I used pdf converter (I don’t have license any more due to cost cuts) to treat all contents like graphical (uneditable) display, but now I’m must find another solution.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You can't prevent someone from copying from your file, even if it was toally locked, you would be able to screen capture.  However you can lock content down using a few techniques, so that it is not editable:

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/pptblog/protect-powerpoint-file-from-changes/

You would need to do these manually in Powerpoint (or script using VB), I don't believe you could do this from the tagset.

nata
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your answer. I know that I can't prevent someone from printscreen capturing, but I'm looking for an option to disable simple use of ctrl+c or Edit->Copy for getting a functional table, for example. Sorry for being so imprecise.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

The only other thing I can think of is to save the presentation as a movie - MP4, WMV etc.  However even then you theoretically have software which opens each image in the movie and copy from there.  TBH though, why do you need to go to such extremes?  If the person isn't allowed the data, just don't give it to them.  Maybe you should only let them look at it on your screen, with you present in case they photo the screen?

nata
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your help. It's too complicated to explain, but my situation is similar to new car owner. I want to put a car-alarm to prevent amateurs and/or gang apprentice. I'm aware of, I can't do much against experts. Btw, in theory, I could use PROC GSLIDE and turn all tables into pictures, but this will stay only as theoretical option:)

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, the only other thing I can think of is that in VBA within powerpoint you create an onopen macro and onclose macro:

Sub Auto_Open()

Application.CutCopyMode = False

End Sub

Sub Auto_Close()

Application.CutCopyMode = True

End Sub

I don't know how your IT will like that though, macro enabled files.  There will also be an acceptance which your users will need to click on.

nata
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you very much for your help, but your code is not an option due to IT guy of mine.

I know that SAS course pdf materials are protected and they are without a password, but I assumed they use a DTP software, not SAS ODS.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Then yes, all I can suggest is to create a PDF, open it in Adobe Acrobat, goto File->Document Properties, select Security tab, add a password, and click Restrict Editing and the options you want.

nata
Calcite | Level 5

Well, this option is inactive in Adobe Reader. I don't have Adobe Acrobat. I could use ODS PDF with nopdfcopy option, but this requires password and I'm at the starting point of the story again:(

Thank you very much for your help and patience.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation