BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
srisoham
Calcite | Level 5

Dear All,

I am trying to create page border using ODS in RTF. I am currently using SAS 9.2 TS2M3.  I looked at many papers but Other than the creating table borders, I am unable create any page border in output attached.

Could someone help me?

Regards,

Sri

6 REPLIES 6
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

You might want to look at the RTF specification and/or work with Tech Support on this question. I do not know whether there is an RTF control string that puts a "page border" control into an RTF document.

One way to test would be to create a Word doc, put a page border in the Word doc, save the Word doc as an RTF file and then try to reverse engineer the RTF file to see what the RTF control string is for the page border. So that is half the equation -- finding out whether RTF has controls for page borders.

Then the other half of the equation is to see whether ODS RTF or ODS TAGSETS.RTF will allow you to insert the RTF control string that you need into your document with ODS. ODS RTF output is meant to be rendered in Word and I'm not sure what part of your output or document would carry the page border information -- I would guess a style template designed for RTF only but... here's the dilemma...if the RTF spec doesn't allow page border controls, then there's no way to get them into ODS RTF output and even if RTF has a control string, you still have to figure out how to pass the control string into ODS and on into the output file.

So I that's why I think you should work with Tech Support on this.

Cynthia

srisoham
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Cynthia,

Thank you for the help. I was able to find the RTF control words for page border from Microsoft web page.

Here is some text from the site.  To use RTF control word,  As you said i may need your help/suggestion whether it should be done using style templates or at TAGSETS.RTF OPTIONS?

Since it is applicable at  page level i wonder what style element(document/pages/contents)  has capable to carry this string.

Thanks again,

Sri

Borders

\pgbrdrhead

Page border surrounds header.

\pgbrdrfoot

Page border surrounds footer.

\pgbrdrt

Page border top.

\pgbrdrb

Page border bottom.

\pgbrdrl

Page border left.

\pgbrdrr

Page border right.

\brdrartN

Page border art; the N argument is a value from 1 to 165 representing the number of the border.

\pgbrdroptN

N has the bit fields:

bits 0-2 Apply to all pages in section (0), first page in section (1), all but first page in section (2), whole document (3).

bit 3      Display in front (0), in back (1)

bit 5      Offset from text (0), from edge of page (1).

Examples:

8          Page border for all pages in section measures from text. Always display in front option is set to off.

32         Page border for all pages in section measures from edge of page. Always display in front option is set to on.

40         Page border for all pages in section measures from edge of page. Always display in front option is set to off.

\pgbrdrsnap

Align paragraph borders and table edges with page border.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

It is great that you found out that RTF has a page border control string. However, that is just half the issue. As I recommended in my previous posting, I think that you need to open a track with Tech Support. I don't know whether there is a method by which you can insert the control string into the document. If anyone can find out the answer to your question, it's Tech Support. I wouldn't want to have you go down the template road if there's is just no way to touch the part of the document you need.

To open a track with Tech Support, fill out the form at this link:

http://support.sas.com/ctx/supportform/createForm

cynthia

RC_BLAZER
Calcite | Level 5

Please let me know if you find any solution to this. I am also trying to add a page border in a SAS generated rtf.

- Ryan

LUISBARTHOLO
Calcite | Level 5

Hi! Did you find any solution? Thanks!

ballardw
Super User

@LUISBARTHOLO wrote:

Hi! Did you find any solution? Thanks!

Might be better to start your a new thread instead of piggybacking onto one that is over 10 years old.

A page border alone may or may not be possible but you definitely want to include and example of any SAS generated content that is supposed to go inside that border by providing data, or using a SAS supplied data set like SASHELP.CLASS and some code to generate output table(s) or graphs similar to your output that should appear inside that "border".

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation