BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jplarios
Quartz | Level 8
could I access SAS data in a UNIX machine from ODBC?
7 REPLIES 7
Ksharp
Super User
I think it is much difficult.
For accessing sas dataset in a UNIX machine, it has usually three method.
SAS/SHARE SAS/CONNECT and Integrated Open Model (Example: sas/EG can use this
method to talk with SAS UNIX server.)

I recommend you to setup JDBC for sas, then you can use Java C++ VB to communicate with SAS.

Ksharp
rwan
Fluorite | Level 6

I ran proc setinit and it lists Access to ODBC as one of the products. I just wonder if it is for real.

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Rwan,

SAS/ACCESS to ODBC means that you SAS installation can access data stored in ODBC compliant software, such as MS SQL Server, ORACLE, and any other RDBMS that support ODBC connections.

Accessing SAS tables via ODBC is completely different. You'll need

- Software licenses for either SAS/SHARE or SAS Scalable Performance Data Server (SPDS), or SAS Integration Technology

- A running server instance (SAS/SHARE, SPDS, Metadata Server/Object Spawner)

- The Corresponding SAS ODBC drivers installed on the Windows machine desired to access the SAS tables

Hope this helps,

Ahmed

rwan
Fluorite | Level 6

Sorry I got confused by the various posts. Here is what I was trying to do. I have university edition of SAS and I also have data in MYSQL database. I was trying to get at my data from SAS. Now I know that ACCESS to ODBC is not on the product list of the university edition but I did a proc setinit and it clearly showed that ACCESS to ODBC is installed. I was wondering if there is a way to set up SAS to access my data on MYSQL. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

The way I understand it, SAS University Edition runs in its own virtual (Linux) machine, which is "completely" isolated from your Windows (I'm guessing) machine, and the only link between them is how you setup the SAS Shared Folder, based on the installation instructions.

With that said, I don't know of a way, whereby you can modify the pre-installed SAS software, nor the Virtual Linux Environment variables, in order to configure the SAS/ACCESS product.

By the Way, you'll need SAS/ACCESS to MySQL and NOT SAS/ACCESS to ODBC!! Having SAS/ACCESS to ODBC listed in the proc setinit listing/output, does not mean it is installed!

You probably will get better answer posting your question to the

Good luck,

Ahmed

rwan
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks Ahmed. A SAS technical sales person told be that ACCESS to ODBC should get me connected to MYSQL in a normal installation. It might be a bit slower but theoretically it should work.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

But, you do not have a "normal" installation. You have an isolated installation. SAS University Edition runs in a Virtual Machine that does not really ever see the files on your C: drive. It only sees the files that you define to Virtual Box or VMware Player as shared. As explained by Ahmed, you cannot get to the Virtual Machine to make any configuration changes, so the chances are good that you will not be able to read your MySQL database directly with the University Edition. This is a question for Tech Support when they understand your whole configuration and how you are running SAS -- whether what you want to do will work specifically when you are using the SAS University Edition.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation