BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

According to the documentation, the first parameter to CALL DEFINE (column-id) is (among others)

• a character literal (in quotation marks) that is the column name

Why is the column name not accepted in this example code:

proc format;
value myfmt 100-high="high";
run;

proc report data=sashelp.class;
column name age;
define name / display;
define age / sum;
rbreak after / summarize;
compute after;
  name = "total";
  call define ("age","format","myfmt.");
endcomp;
run;

It works with either the numerical column number (2) or the sequential column name ("_c2_").

And it works if an alias is used:

proc report data=sashelp.class;
column name age=xxx;
define name / display;
define xxx / sum;
/*compute age;
if _break_ = "_RBREAK_" then call define (_col_,"format","3.");
endcomp;*/
rbreak after / summarize;
compute after;
  name = "total";
  call define ("xxx","format","myfmt.");
endcomp;
run;

So what is the difference between the column name itself and the alias?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
It is one of the referencing rules of PROC REPORT. In a COMPUTE block GROUP, ORDER and DISPLAY items can use the simple column name reference. ANALYSIS items must use the referencing form of variable.statistic. An analysis item that uses an alias can use the simple alias name. An exception to this rule would be any item under an ACROSS usage variable. An ANALYSIS item or an ALIAS item under an ACROSS item would need to use the absolute column number in a COMPUTE block.
Cynthia

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

The name is AGE.SUM for an analysis variable.

call define ("age.sum","format","myfmt.");

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
It is one of the referencing rules of PROC REPORT. In a COMPUTE block GROUP, ORDER and DISPLAY items can use the simple column name reference. ANALYSIS items must use the referencing form of variable.statistic. An analysis item that uses an alias can use the simple alias name. An exception to this rule would be any item under an ACROSS usage variable. An ANALYSIS item or an ALIAS item under an ACROSS item would need to use the absolute column number in a COMPUTE block.
Cynthia
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Is there a way to find the absolute column numbers of columns without preprocessing the data?

Just to make up a simple example of when that might be useful, let's suppose I have some id columns, and then across columns for a variable, then a summary column, and I want to make the last across column pink. If I knew the column number of the final summary column, I could find the column number of the last across column by subtracting 1.

I have occasionally had reason to run a PROC SUMMARY on data, and then PROC REPORT on the summary output. It surprised me that sometimes with large data sets the SUMMARY+REPORT approach was noticeably faster than creating the same final report using PROC REPORT alone. I would have thought the run times would be very similar because the same calculation engine is used in both.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@JackHamilton wrote:
Is there a way to find the absolute column numbers of columns without preprocessing the data?

Just to make up a simple example of when that might be useful, let's suppose I have some id columns, and then across columns for a variable, then a summary column, and I want to make the last across column pink. If I knew the column number of the final summary column, I could find the column number of the last across column by subtracting 1.

I have occasionally had reason to run a PROC SUMMARY on data, and then PROC REPORT on the summary output. It surprised me that sometimes with large data sets the SUMMARY+REPORT approach was noticeably faster than creating the same final report using PROC REPORT alone. I would have thought the run times would be very similar because the same calculation engine is used in both.

@JackHamilton 

Better to put this in its own thread, rather than here in an unrelated (and solved) thread.

--
Paige Miller
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
@PaigeMiller I don't understand why you think it's an unrelated question. The original question was about determining the values possible for a column reference in CALL DEFINE, and my question is also about that. And the answer to my question might provide an alternative answer to the problem behind the original question.
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Your question is unrelated, but more important, my question has been solved and marked as such, so any additional post won't get much attention.

Therefore it's better for you to post your question in a new topic.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

@JackHamilton I'm not going to debate it with you. You should see this at the top of the thread:

2021-11-10 06_09_10-Window.png

So help yourself, and help the Community — start a new thread.

--
Paige Miller

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 10 likes
  • 5 in conversation