BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BStats
Calcite | Level 5

Does the SAS Microsoft Add-in have the ability to auto populate a customized report template? If not, what is the best way to achieve this? The company I work for has a specific designed template that they have created and wants it to auto populated after running a stored process. In the past, this appeared to be done using DDE. However, I don't know what would be the current way of achieving this task.

All data analysis is done in SAS. 

Thanks for the help.

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
There are options - you can proc export to specified ranges now but I still use DDE. You can replicate the template using ODS EXCEL or TAGSETS.EXCELXP.
BStats
Calcite | Level 5

Do you know if the Add-in has that ability? For the options you mentioned are there any good examples that I could look at? 

Thanks.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, As Reeza suggested, you might try to see whether the Excel template can be created using your Stored Process and PROC REPORT or PROC TABULATE. Generally speaking, when you use the Add-in for Microsoft office you are interactively reaching to SAS from inside Office and "pulling" data and results from SAS into the Office application. The SAS Add-in software knows how to translate from the internal SAS format for data and reports to the Office format (depending on whether you are in Word or Excel or PowerPoint). The SAS Add-in typically doesn't use anything like DDE, although you can use Excel or Word macros or VB Script after you pull your data or report into Office. Reeza's idea of using PROC EXPORT to named ranges as an alternative to DDE is typically a technique that is used when you do NOT have the SAS Add-in to Microsoft Office -- so it might be harder to implement a PROC EXPORT from within a stored process. Depending on what you want to do and what your template looks like, you might want to open a track with Tech Support for more specific help. A lot will come down to what the template looks like and what you are trying to make the stored process update.

cynthia
BStats
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you. We are looking into all options.
Reeza
Super User
Search LexJansen.com

For the Export using DDE or specific ranges I wrote a paper which is here:

http://www.sas.com/content/dam/SAS/en_ca/User%20Group%20Presentations/Edmonton-User-Group/FareezaKhu...
BStats
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the paper. I am definitly going to look into everything you mentioned, as well as reviewing your paper. At this point we are looking into any way of completeing this project. We are not stuck on using a stored process or the Microsoft Add-in. So any other ideas would be helpful as well. 

I would share the template but we are under some tight regulations, therefore I am unable. 

Like I said all Ideas are welcome. 

Thank you.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation