BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Phil416
Calcite | Level 5

I have searched for the errors that SAS reports and the solutions do not seem to resolve the problem.  Most suggest reinstalling Java in subdirectories of the SASHome folder.

This error prevents output from simple programs.

Example:

Proc npar1way data=mysas.TxMri wilcoxon anova;

Class PT;

variable Adip;

run;

The output stops at the first analysis.

The log output is:

ERROR: Unable to attach current thread.
ERROR: Unable to load the Java Virtual Machine. Please see the installation instructions or
       system administrator.

Changing the code to 

ods graphics off;

Proc npar1way data=mysas.TxMri wilcoxon anova;

Class PT;

variable Adip;

run;

allows the analysis to complete - but without the nice boxes and plots.

The problem is in the link to HTML and Java.  Where could the settings be for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Apparently a new problem has arisen with Windows 10 Creator's Update (released in April 2017), SAS 9.4 and Java. There are several posts on this topic including this one:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/windows10-about-SAS9-4-ERROR-The-Java-child-process-te...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

I thought that wasn't supposed to happen anymore as of 9.4

I'm assuming you're referring to these settings that you've verified and are correct:

There are two places that you see the entry for the SAS Private JRE for SAS 9.4: the sassw.config file and the sasv9.cfg file.

Phil416
Calcite | Level 5

I had checked one, but not sassw.config.  The directories are there.  Do they need to be 8.3?  The file was created before the latest update, so it must have been working.

The registry had 8.3 with a value of 2 - I changed it to 0, with reboots, no effect on the SAS Java message at start up. 

sassw.config.

[properties]
JREHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment\9.4\jre\bin\java.exe
SASHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome
PRIVATEJREHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASPrivateJavaRuntimeEnvironment\9.4\jre\bin\java.exe
DPLMTREGLOC=C:\Program Files\SASHome\deploymntreg
VJRHOME=C:\Program Files\SASHome\SASVersionedJarRepository

Checking the Windows Defender settings and turning off didn't change the behaviour.  Making SAS trusted for virus checking didn't change the behaviour.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Apparently a new problem has arisen with Windows 10 Creator's Update (released in April 2017), SAS 9.4 and Java. There are several posts on this topic including this one:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/windows10-about-SAS9-4-ERROR-The-Java-child-process-te...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation