BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
abarnard
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, novice SAS user here.  I am used to coding for SAS 9.3 and have used my same code for several data sets without a problem until we upgraded to 9.4 and now I get this error, "Cannot write image to ____.png Please ensure that proper disk permissions are set." for every procedure that involves graphs/charts.  I understand this has to do with an ods output error..I changed it to ods html close; ods listing; and then my procedures.  How can I change the output to give me my graphs/charts?  Any direction is helpful, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Have a look at SAS Usage Note 49421 - A "Cannot write image" error might occur with ODS Graphics and the SAS/GRAPH®...

You need to specify a location in your ODS statements to point to a directory where you have write permissions. Without this it will be attempting to write to the default directory, which for a shared SAS platform environment will be the application servers configuration directory (e.g. /opt/sas/config/Lev1/SASApp).

I know it probably doesn't sound like it, but in a way it's good that you are getting this error. It suggests that file system permissions on your SAS server might have been configured well. Without them the SASApp directory can get littered with lots of temporary files.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ballardw
Super User

Post some code and the actual error from the log.

Did you by any chance upgrade to 9.4 to a server version from a stand-alone version for 9.3? If that is the case then the paths to your output might be trying to write to a server where you do not have permissions.

abarnard
Calcite | Level 5

Yes, I went from my personal use to one used on remote software (server).... Code is for a multiple linear regression, here is part of it:

ods html close;

ods listing;

data hemoSAS;

input hemoglobin cancer gender age @@;

cards;

*Data set*

;

proc sgscatter data=hemoSAS;

matrix cancer gender age;

run;

proc reg data=hemoSAS;

model hemoglobin = cancer gender age;

output out=diag r=resid p=pred;

run;

*continues..*

Log output:

ods html close;

72   ods listing;

73   data hemoSAS;

74   input hemoglobin cancer gender age @@;

75   cards;

NOTE: SAS went to a new line when INPUT statement reached past the end of a line.

NOTE: The data set WORK.HEMOSAS has 27 observations and 4 variables.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.01 seconds

cpu time            0.01 seconds

103  ;

104  proc sgscatter data=hemoSAS;

105  matrix cancer gender age;

106  run;

NOTE: PROCEDURE SGSCATTER used (Total process time):

real time           0.54 seconds

cpu time            0.14 seconds

ERROR: Cannot write image to SGScatter.png. Please ensure that proper disk permissions are set.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

NOTE: There were 27 observations read from the data set WORK.HEMOSAS.

ballardw
Super User

You'll have to specify a destination back to your machine or to an acceptable location on the server.

abarnard
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks!  I have never had to complete this before, do you have a suggested start code that I can use and then link it to a file on one of my drives?  Thanks!

PaulHomes
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Have a look at SAS Usage Note 49421 - A "Cannot write image" error might occur with ODS Graphics and the SAS/GRAPH®...

You need to specify a location in your ODS statements to point to a directory where you have write permissions. Without this it will be attempting to write to the default directory, which for a shared SAS platform environment will be the application servers configuration directory (e.g. /opt/sas/config/Lev1/SASApp).

I know it probably doesn't sound like it, but in a way it's good that you are getting this error. It suggests that file system permissions on your SAS server might have been configured well. Without them the SASApp directory can get littered with lots of temporary files.

abarnard
Calcite | Level 5

Paul-  Thank you! Wish I had seen this article before I asked again.  Thanks for the advice and I will try this out tomorrow during my next attempts.  I do indeed believe this error began due to a switch from a stand-alone to a server use.  Always great to learn more about SAS.  Thank you both for your help!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation