BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mgorripati
Obsidian | Level 7

My dataset has 2000 accounts , I am readig all the accounts into macro variable and looping PROC REPORT code through each account to generate an  xml report(ExcelXp Tagset).

The code generates all the output files in 15 minutes for all the accounts in my dataset , But my code in Eneterprise guide shows as Still Running and it keeps running for 30 more minutes and pops up a message saying

"the results are too large and could take a long time and a large amount of systems resources "  ,  

After I  choose No the program  will be running forever as Collecting..

How can i stop the process as soon as it generates the output files ? how do I stop the SAS Program from adding the results ?

After reading some sugesttions here I did below settings:

1) Writing Log file to directoty by using proc printto

2) Have unchecked options to not include the results to my project . Tools->Options->results -> results general .

Even after tyring the above options , there seems to be no change in the program behavior. 

Can someone guide me here , Any sugesstions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

MG

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

You have to show your code that keeps looping. What version of EG are you using? Do any of your PROCS need a QUIT?

mgorripati
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Reeza,

Thanks for responding. I am using EG 6.1 . 

The program generates all the output files in 15mins ,After that it keeps running for ~30 mins  and After 30 Mins the below message will be displayed

"The results are large (79567804 bytes) and could take a long time and a large amount of system resources to add to the project. Do you want to continue adding the results to the project?"

I choose NO , and the program will be Running Forver with status "Collecting "  and eventually EG stops responding  after ~45 mins.

I have choosen not add any results to the project from Tools->Options-> Results-> Results General 

Why will it ask me to choose to add or not add results to the project even after making the selection above. It is annoying and looks like a bug in SAS.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Many of your options, such as HEADLINE, HEADSKIP, are LISTING only options and are completely ignored by TAGSETS.EXCELXP.

You do not have data for anyone to test your code with and it's not clear to me what the logic of your macro program is. For help with your issue, your best bet is to work with SAS Tech Support.

I have a few debugging suggestions -- simplify the code and test each piece separately. Make sure that your macro loop is executing only the correct number of times. It doesn't appear that anything in your PROC REPORTs would be causing issues, but depending on how many times your macro loop is executing, you could be generating code that has issues running.

cynthia
mgorripati
Obsidian | Level 7

I have spent sometime troubleshooting the code . I have truncated some of my final data records to test for multiple scenarios with different number of loops.

By incresing the number of loops SAS EG is taking  lot of time collecting the results after the code execution is finished. I do not see a way to stop it from taking forever on Collecting Status.

I found it useful to use %abort return just before the end of my macro . It may not be appropriate  to do it , but for now it saves me from waiting forever for SAS EG to complete Collecting the results.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation