BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

proc format;
	picture million(round) low-high='000,000,000,009.9MM' (prefix='$' mult=.00001);
run;
data a;
    balance=333333.33; output;
    balance=725000000.00; output;
run;
ods listing;
proc report data=a;
    columns balance;
    define balance/display format=million.;
run;
ods listing close;

This produces the proper output using the Picture Format

balance
                   $0.3MM
                 $725.0MM

But if I use ODS EXCEL, the picture format isn't used and produces an incorrect result

ods excel file="temp1.xlsx";
proc report data=a;
    columns balance;
    define balance/display format=million.;
run;
ods excel close;

Capture.PNG

Why does this happen? How do I fix it?

--
Paige Miller
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

I tried an odd thought because of the Excel "enter a ' for literal values" behavior with Prefix="'$" , adding a ' to the prefix. The values appear as desired EXCEPT the ' appeared.

So I tried a NULL character, the ASCII 255 in the prefix before the $ and the appearance is as desired but Excel doesn't treat the values as numeric for use in functions.

Update: This topic/solution presents a workaround for the problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi: I think you're going to have to use TAGATTR to send a Microsoft format to Excel. I'm not in a place to run code right now. A quicker alternative may be to use your PICTURE format to make a character variable and then use the character variable in PROC REPORT and just right justify the value with a STYLE override.
Cynthia
ballardw
Super User

I tried an odd thought because of the Excel "enter a ' for literal values" behavior with Prefix="'$" , adding a ' to the prefix. The values appear as desired EXCEPT the ' appeared.

So I tried a NULL character, the ASCII 255 in the prefix before the $ and the appearance is as desired but Excel doesn't treat the values as numeric for use in functions.

Update: This topic/solution presents a workaround for the problem.

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Well, @ballardw , I like the cut of your jib (to use a very old archaic expression). I think you have found a valuable workaround, as the Excel file I am creating is designed for reporting purposes, and I don't really care if the results are not numeric (although I may regret thinking so and thus other solutions are still welcomed).

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

@PaigeMiller wrote:

Well, @ballardw , I like the cut of your jib (to use a very old archaic expression). I think you have found a valuable workaround, as the Excel file I am creating is designed for reporting purposes, and I don't really care if the results are not numeric (although I may regret thinking so and thus other solutions are still welcomed).

I appreciate the thought.

As a fairly long-time member of the Society for Creative Anachronism "archaic" is part of the club.

I don't have a lot of interest in trying to work around the Excel cell formatting instructions to do such things.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

I agree, working around the Excel formatting was going to take too long. But if you're going to make a character variable, then just make a character variable and it seems to work OK with ODS EXCEL, no changes at all needed to the user-defined format:

proc format;
	picture million(round) 
            low-high='000,000,000,009.9MM' 
            (prefix='$' mult=.00001);
run;

data a;
    length balchar $22;
	infile datalines;
	input balance;
	ordnum = _n_;
	balchar = put(balance,million.);
	putlog _all_;
return;
datalines;
; 
run;

ods html(id=1) path='c:\temp\' file='pic_test.html';
ods excel(id=2) file='c:\temp\pic_test.xlsx';
proc report data=a;
    columns ordnum balance balchar bal2;
    define balance/display format=million. "With Format";
	define balchar/display "Balance from DATA step"
	       style(column)={just=r};
	define bal2/computed "Balance from COMPUTE block"
	       style(column)={just=r};
	compute bal2 / character length=22;
      	bal2 = put(balance,million.);
	endcomp;
run;
ods html(id=1) close;
ods excel(id=2) close;

BALCHAR is made using the user-defined format in the original DATA step and BAL2 is computed in PROC REPORT using the original format. Both of these approaches work for me:

Cynthia_sas_0-1597955288742.png

Created HTML output for comparison. Of course, in the HTML, the PICTURE format works very nicely.

Hope this helps,

Cynthia

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Thanks, @Cynthia_sas . Right now, I will stick with the solution from @ballardw which requires me to add one more character into my existing program.

However, I still have this feeling that even though the report I am producing is just that, a static report, someone is going to try to add the loan balances in Excel, and as all of these are really just text strings, they can't be added, and then I'm going to need to change the report to have numerics there. So I will still be happy to have a solution that is numeric.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation