BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
mattj
Calcite | Level 5

Dear Group, 

I would like to add a row just below column headers with individual number. I'd rather do it automatically instead of manually editing title in each column statement - columns number may change. It would very much help me to refer to the columns during the discussion since some of them may have a lengthy description and reuse the numbers in multipage tables. 

The example of the desired outcome is attached. 

Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 15.05.30.png

Best regards,

Matthew 

2 REPLIES 2
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

@mattj wrote:

Dear Group, 

I would like to add a row just below column headers with individual number. I'd rather do it automatically instead of manually editing title in each column statement - columns number may change. It would very much help me to refer to the columns during the discussion since some of them may have a lengthy description and reuse the numbers in multipage tables. 

The example of the desired outcome is attached. 

Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 15.05.30.png

Best regards,

Matthew 

I do something similar where the first header row is variable LABEL and the second row is the variable name.  That format is useful when making EXCEL output that you might want to read back into SAS.   Here are examples that might be helpful.

%let vars=Cylinders Horsepower MPG_City MPG_Highway Weight Wheelbase Length Make Model Type Origin DriveTrain MSRP Invoice EngineSize;
options formchar="|----|+|---+=|-/\<>*";
proc report data=sashelp.cars(obs=10) nowd list headline;
   column %m_expand_varlist(data=sashelp.cars,var=&vars,expr=catx(' ','(',quote(strip(coalesceC(_label_,_name_))),quote('--'),_name_,')'));
   label %m_expand_varlist(data=sashelp.cars,var=&vars,expr=catx(' ',_name_,'=',quote(cats('(',_index_,')'))));
   define _all_ / display;
   run;

column %m_expand_varlist(data=sashelp.cars,var=&vars,expr=catx(' ','(',quote(strip(coalesceC(_label_,_name_))),quote('--'),_name_,')'));
   attrib _all_ label=' ';
   define _all_ / display;
   run;

column %m_expand_varlist(data=sashelp.cars,var=&vars,expr=catx(' ','(',quote(cats('(',_index_,')')),quote('--'),_name_,')'));
   /*label %m_expand_varlist(data=sashelp.cars,var=&vars,expr=catx(' ',_name_,'=',quote(cats('(',_index_,')'))));*/
   attrib _all_ label=' ';
   define _all_ / display;
   run;

Capture.PNG

The macro M_EXPAND_VARLIST

%macro
   m_expand_varlist /*Returns an expanded variable list and optionally creates an indexed data set of variable names*/
      (
         data  = _LAST_,            /*[R]Input data*/
         var   = _ALL_,             /*[R]Variable List expanded*/
         copy  = &var,              /*[O]Copy &VARS to the OUT= data set*/
         where = 1,                 /*[R]Where clause to subset OUT=, useful for selecting by a name suffix e.g. where=_name_ like '%_Status'*/
         expr  = nliteral(&name),   /*[R]An expression that can be used to modify the names in the expanded list*/
         keep  = ,                  /*[O]Keep data set option for DATA=*/
         drop  = ,                  /*[O]Drop data set option for DATA=*/
         rename= ,                  /*[O]Rename data set option for DATA=*/
         out   = work._deleteme_,   /*[O]Output data indexed by _NAME_ and _INDEX_*/
         name  = _NAME_,            /*[R]Name of the variable name variable in the output data set*/
         label = _LABEL_,           /*[R]Name of the variable label variable in the output data set*/
         index = _INDEX_,           /*[R]Name of the variable index variable in the output data set*/
         dlm   = ' '                /*[R]List delimiter*/
      );
   %local m i;
   %let i=&sysindex;
   %let m=&sysmacroname._&i;
   %do %while(%symexist(&m));
      %let i = %eval(&i + 1);
      %let m=&sysmacroname._&i;
      %end;
   /*%put NOTE: &=m is a unique symbol name;*/
   %local rc &m code1 code2 code3 code4 code5;
   %let code1 = %str(options notes=0; proc transpose name=&name label=&label data=&data(obs=0 keep=&keep drop=&drop rename=(&rename)) out=&out(where=(&where)); var &var; copy &copy; run;);
   %let code2 = %str(data &out(index=(&index &name)); set &out; &index+1; run;);
   %let code3 = %str(proc sql noprint; select &expr into :&m separated by &dlm from &out; quit;);
   %if %superq(OUT) eq %str(work._deleteme_) %then %let code4=%str(proc delete data=work._deleteme_; run;);
   %let code5 = %str(options notes=1;);
   %let rc=%sysfunc(dosubl(&code1 &code2 &code3 &code4 &code5));
&&&m.
   %mend m_expand_varlist;
Ksharp
Super User
data have;
 set sashelp.class;
run;

proc sql noprint;
select cats(name,'="(',varnum,')"'),catx(' ','("',name,'"',name,')')
 into :labels separated by ' ',:headers separated by ' '
 from dictionary.columns
  where libname='WORK' and memname='HAVE';
quit;

ods rtf file='c:\temp\temp.rtf' style=minimal;
proc report data=have nowd;
label &labels.;
column &headers.;
run;
ods rtf close;

Ksharp_0-1667644391943.png

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation