BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Eva
Quartz | Level 8 Eva
Quartz | Level 8
Dear all,

I have a proc report which displays nicely in HTML. When I change to ODS PDF I get some wired breaks. I have cell values (a group variable) where a break occurs within a word, e.g. the German word "Folgetagsbearbeitung" displays like this:
Folgetagsbearbeitun
g

Then I have breaks in cell headings where a blank is. This doesn't happen in HTML.

How can I suppress both of these breaks?

Best wishes
Eva
2 REPLIES 2
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
HTML and PDF are 2 inherently different destinations. HTML tables can be as wide as they need to be because the underlying principal of HTML is that the content on the page will be rendered with a browser. PDF output is not meant to be edited -- it is meant to be viewed with Adobe Acrobat Reader. This means that PDF output is bound by the physical limitations of a "page" -- insofar as orientation and margins are set within your SAS session -- they will have an effect on your PDF output and PDF will slightly adjust the cellwidth of table cells, in necessary to fit into a PDF page, so unlike HTML, a PDF document CANNOT be as wide as it needs to be. Just because something looks OK in HTML does not mean it will look equally OK in a "paged" destination.

You might need to work with your PROC REPORT step and test out different STYLE= attribute settings to see whether you can "tweak" the PDF output to be as you want. These settings include any or all of these suggestions:
1) changing orientation from PORTRAIT to LANDSCAPE
2) changing document margins (these first 2 are changed on an OPTIONS statement
3) changing the report table OUTPUTWIDTH in the PROC REPORT statement
4) changing CELLWIDTH and CELLPADDING and/or FONT_SIZE in the PROC REPORT statement or the DEFINE statement for a particular cell.

If you search previous forum postings for a post which contains the words "very wide", you will see an example of a program that illustrates these techniques.

cynthia
Eva
Quartz | Level 8 Eva
Quartz | Level 8
Dear Cynthia,

thanx a lot. Cellwidth did it!

Best wishes
Eva

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation