BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
KevinViel
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a table with "too many" columns for the margin size and font size (11 in total, five "fit" on one page).  I also have a requirement to create a new page after two sections.  The problem seems to be that the paging:

break after _page / page ;

is not honored since the fifth column wraps, but onto the same page.  I cannot present the data so please forgive the schematic:

I would like:

row      c1 c2 c3 c4

page1, section1

page1, section2

row      c5 c6 c7 c7

page1, section1

page1, section2

I am getting this:

row      c1 c2 c3 c4

page1, section1

page1, section2

row      c5 c6 c7 c7

page1, section1

That is the next rows start on the same page, breaking the section up.  I might be that I can adjust the CELLWIDTHs to push it, but I do not want to need to experiment or face later inconsistencies.

I would appreciate any advice, corrections, or references.

Thank you,

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi: Scott Huntley and I wrote about how to control too wide output in this paper https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS038-2014.pdf

The paper focused on PDF and HTML. Many of the same controls for PDF can also apply to RTF.

We used SASHELP.CARS in our paper, perhaps you can replicate your report issues with that data to illustrate your issue. The PAGE option on the break will not work as you describe until you get all your columns fitting on one page wide so that your created page variable works correctly.

Cynthia

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Do you need to print this report on paper? If not perhaps by using a different system option for PAPERSIZE you could set a longer/wider virtual page.

Or provide code that works with one of the SAS supplied datasets in SASHELP library that demonstrates the same issue.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi: Scott Huntley and I wrote about how to control too wide output in this paper https://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings14/SAS038-2014.pdf

The paper focused on PDF and HTML. Many of the same controls for PDF can also apply to RTF.

We used SASHELP.CARS in our paper, perhaps you can replicate your report issues with that data to illustrate your issue. The PAGE option on the break will not work as you describe until you get all your columns fitting on one page wide so that your created page variable works correctly.

Cynthia
KevinViel
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you to both Cindy and ballardw for replying.

The solution is to use the PAGE option to the DEFINE statement.  Every mod( _c , 4 ) = 1 column, where _c is column number (after the first, in my case, which was my ID column), I used the PAGE option:

define _c1 / "1st@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;
define _c2 / "2nd@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;
define _c3 / "3rd@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;
define _c4 / "4th@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;
define _c5 / "5th@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] page ;
define _c6 / "6th@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;
define _c7 / "7th@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;
define _c8 / "8th@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;
define _c9 / "9th@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] page ;
define _c10 / "10th@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;
define _c11 / "11th@N = 42" style( column ) = [ cellwidth = 20% ] ;

About 90% of my "tricks" in ODS and REPORT are from the generous and prolific Cindy.  I thank you again!  🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation