BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi all,

I am currently remoting into my university's server to run SAS on the UNIX server through batch mode. I am running a simulation study and am at the part where I am analyzing my data and would like to output the analyses as a separate data set. However, when I try and do so, the output data sets are not being created. Any ideas as to what is going on? Any help is much appreciated. Below is the code I have used:

*fitting a misinformed multilevel model to the 4 time point data and assuming a normal response*;
*specifying a library for the ods output to go to*;
libname output '/home/users/txbanh.AD3/output';
*importing the simulated data set*;
proc import datafile = "Four_Normal.csv" out = Four_Normal  dbms = csv;
        getnames = YES;
run;
*starting the macro to analyze the data*;
%macro MCMC;
	%let Size_List = 5|10|15|20|25|30|35|40|45|50|60|70|80|90|100;
        %let num_Size = %eval(%sysfunc(count(&Size_list,|))+1);

%do i = 1 %to &num_Size;
        %let Size = %scan(&Size_list.,&i,|);
        %let v = %eval(&Size-2);

proc mcmc data = Four_Normal  nmc = 50000 thin = 5;
                by Iter;

where Size = &Size;

*here is where I specify the ods output. I am trying to create ods output for each sample size and then I concatenate them all at the end*;
                ods output PostSummaries = output.PostSummaries_&Size PostIntervals = output.PostIntervals_&Size;
8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

I don't see anything wrong with the code you've posted so your issue is somewhere else. 

Check your log, if you can't see it, post the log. 

Use the following to see what macro variables resolve to in your log and code generated:

options mprint symbolgen;
tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Reeza,

When I run the program, the code stops at this warning message:

WARNING: Output 'PostIntervals' was not created.  Make sure that the output object name, label, or path is spelled correctly. Also, verify that the appropriate procedure options are used to produce the requested output object.  For example, verify that the NOPRINT option is not used.
WARNING: Output 'PostSummaries' was not created.  Make sure that the output object name, label, or path is spelled corr
ectly. Also, verify that the appropriate procedure options are used to produce the requested output object.  For example, verify that the NOPRINT option is not used.

This is a standard message when the output isn't being created and doesn't really give me any insight as to the problem at hand. Any ideas what's going on?

tbanh
Fluorite | Level 6

Also, when I try this code on normal SAS (not on batch mode on UNIX server), it works. Hope this gives some insight.

Reeza
Super User

Check your SAS version is the same between the two versions. 

Assuming exact same SAS versions and same input data that shouldn't happen, so one must be different. 

That error is generated when your proc doesn't generate the table for some reason. Some defaults may change between versions which is why what version you're running is important. 

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

When I look in the doc for PROC MCMC, I do see the PostSummaries output object and I see the PostIntervals output object, but I also see that you need to specify the STATISTICS=Interval option in the MCMC code:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_mcmc_details... and if you research further in the doc, it says:

=== === ===

The "Posterior Intervals" table (ODS table name PostIntervals) contains the equal-tail and highest posterior density (HPD) interval estimates for each parameter. The default $\alpha $ value is 0.05, and you can change it to other levels by using the STATISTICS= option. The table is not displayed by default and can be requested by specifying the option STATISTICS=INTERVAL .

=== === ===

I do NOT see the STATISTICS=INTERVAL option in your code. Here's the doc on that:

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/statug/68162/HTML/default/viewer.htm#statug_mcmc_syntax0...

cynthia

Reeza
Super User

The defaults do appear to have changed between versions. For 9.2/9.3 those tables are produced by default. 

According to @Cynthia_sas they're not in SAS/Stat 14.1

My guess is this is your issue in testing versus running via batch - diff versions of SAS or SAS/Stat at the least. 

boschy
Fluorite | Level 6

In more basic terms, is ODS OUTPUT via a LIBNAME reference a valid UNIX directory location for your ODS results files?

For example, if my customers forget to include FILE= or BODY= the ODS output files end up being written to the current UNIX directory that existed when $SASROOT/sas was executed.

Sometimes from EG this end up being config/Lev1/SASApp, which they don't have write access to, and therefore get an error.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

The output from the ODS OUTPUT statement is a SAS dataset which can be written to WORK or to a permanent library location. ODS OUTPUT does not use a FILE= or BODY= named file. ODS OUTPUT works the same way for UNIVARIATE as for PROC MCMC. Here's some sample code that creates an output dataset using the WORK libref and then a permanent LIBREF. You will have to change the code to make PERM point to a location where you have WRITE access.

cynthia

ods output basicmeasures=work.bsc_meas;
proc univariate data=sashelp.class;
var height;
run;

proc print data=work.bsc_meas;
title 'from univariate basic measures';
run;

libname perm '<your location>';
ods output testsforlocation=perm.tfloc;
proc univariate data=sashelp.class;
var age;
run;

proc print data=perm.tfloc;
title 'from univariate perm.tfloc';
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation