BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Hi ... to get rid of the text "The FREQ Procedure", "The MEANS Procedure", etc. on procedure output, I use ...

ods noproctitle;

That gets rid of that text even if I am producing output in the OUTPUT window in display manager mode in Windows, Normally, control of the OUTPUT window is done with OPTIONS statements, not ODS statements.

So, the question is ... is ALL procedure output "orchestrated" by ODS, even when writing to the OUTPUT window with no ODS destinations specified?

This is just a "curiousity" question. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, Mike:
Yes, what we have lovingly called the LST or LISTING or Output Window all these years became "The LISTING Destination" in ODS land -- back in SAS version 7.

When the transition was made from the "old way" of creating LISTING output (output line by output line written from SAS to the SYSOUT or Output Window or LST file) to the "new way" of creating output, the LISTING destination is the name given to what old-timers like me called the Output Window. The Results Window in Display manager has hooks into ODS, too. You can use the ODS PROCLABEL statement to alter the top level node you see in the Results Window.

You can close or, if closed, open the LISTING destination with
[pre]
ODS LISTING CLOSE; /*closes*/
ODS LISTING; /* opens if closed */
[/pre]

So, yes, ODS statements will impact the LISTING destination (aka Output Window).

One of the exciting new features of SAS 9.2, is that you can do this:
[pre]
ODS LISTING STYLE=WATERCOLOR;
[/pre]

and that tells SAS/GRAPH what style template to use in the creation of Graph output (as long as you have 9.2 and the GSTYLE option is turned on) -- for device-based procedures such as GCHART and GPLOT.

cynthia
MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
hi ... thanks

thinking of this in the context of ODS LISTING makes it easy to understand

(I should have thought of that !!!)
Andre
Obsidian | Level 7
For me , i am quasi sure that ods is 'the master'
without any ods instruction , you are in a ods listing destination

not only noproctitle may act but also noresults...
until you restore it

[pre]
ods noresults;*ods results off;
ods listing;
ods noproctitle;
proc freq data=sashelp.class;table sex;run;
run;
ods _all_ close;
ods results;* ods results on;
*you need to reopen a destination;
ods listing;
proc freq data=sashelp.class;table sex;run;
run;

[/pre]

more
in matter of graphics
you have now ods graphics on;... ods graphics off;
that is acting even if you are not using other ods instuctions

Andre

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation