BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
djbateman
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I am trying to learn how to better interface Excel with SAS.  I found an example from a SAS User's Group paper (http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/024-31.pdf) that shows the following code:

LIBNAME WrkBk EXCEL 'My Workbook.xls' VER=2002;

DATA WrkBk.class;

SET sashelp.class;

RUN;

LIBNAME WrkBk CLEAR;

When I try running it I get an error message in the log:

ERROR: The EXCEL engine cannot be found.

ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

I know that I need the SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files in order to use the EXCEL engine in the LIBNAME statement.  I know I have it because I ran PROC SETINIT; RUN; and I got the following log output:

NOTE: PROCEDURE SETINIT used (Total process time):

real time           0.00 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

Product expiration dates:

---Base SAS Software                                                     29NOV2014

---SAS/STAT                                                                  29NOV2014

---SAS/GRAPH                                                              29NOV2014

---SAS Integration Technologies                                      29NOV2014

---SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files                             29NOV2014

---SAS Workspace Server for Local Access                     29NOV2014

---DataFlux Trans DB Driver                                            29NOV2014

---SAS Framework Data Server                                       29NOV2014

Does anyone know why I can't use Excel on my machine?  I have also noticed that it will not let me import .xls files.  I have to use .csv.  Maybe this is a technical support question, but I thought I would try here first.

1 REPLY 1
art297
Opal | Level 21

My guess is that your machine, like most users, is running 64-bit SAS, but only 32-bit Excel.  One would have thought that SAS would have automated such discrepancies by now, but I don't think they have.

While I'm not overly familiar with it, I think you will have to research. download and install a SAS addon that I think is free, namely what I think is called the pc files server.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation