BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
Hello,

Actually we are generating lot of Excel files using DDE. Unfortunately, we are launching the process at the SAS server and often it terminates by error (typically: Excel opens some interactive window and is waiting for a response - and that is a real problem by automatic processing).

Our intention is try to avoid the DDE usage and replace it by some technique that does not need to open Excel. (But we need to write into an EXISTING Excel spreadsheet, we also use Excel graphs... such solutions like ODS HTML does not serve us... 😞

I have found that theoretically one possibility is to use LIBNAME statement with Excel "Named ranges", but I do not achieve to write the data without varnames. Also I do not know if there is some limitation for the number of Named ranges in one Excel File.

Does anyone know how to solve this?
Is there any way how to omit the varnames when using LIBNAME (engine:xls) for output?
Or better: Is there any other elegant solution?

Thank you in advance!!

Jaroslav
3 REPLIES 3
jc671
Calcite | Level 5
I have the same problem using excel named ranges and sas libname excel engine. How to write to excel without varnames? I use SAS 9.1.3 Service Pack 4 and Excel 2003.

thank you,
JC
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
The best reference I know about on using named ranges is this paper:
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/024-31.pdf

cynthia
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
The best reference on using named ranges is in this user group paper:
http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi31/024-31.pdf

As for your question about VARNAMES, I believe that when the LIBNAME engine is appending data, it can write without VARNAMES -- but I think you may need a named range for that. This would be a question for Tech Support...since it's not entirely clear to me what you mean by omitting the varnames.

cynthia

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation