BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Multipla99
Quartz | Level 8

ODS Excel and Proc Report is a powerful combination that let us enjoy also our SAS formattade values in Excel. However, I still wonder if there is a way to preserve the data type numeric as number when I send the formatted data from SAS to Excel. 

For illustration please see code below. In the code the Swedish locale is used to allow for national formatting, NLNUM12.2, with decimal comma and space as thousand delimiter. The result looks wonderful in Excel. However, the values in the column Invoice are not numbers and can't be used for calculations. 

Can I send formatted values from SAS to Excel and also tell Excel to interpret them as numbers? (In the Swedish version of Excel it's possible to format values with decimal comma and space as thousand delimiter, while at the same time maintaining the data type number.)

options locale= sv_se;
goptions device= png;
ods excel                                                
file= "C:\Temp\Cars.xlsx"
; 
proc report
	data= sashelp.cars
	;
	column origin invoice
	; 
	define origin 							
	/ group									
	;
	define invoice 									
	/	analysis 
		format= NLNUM12.2
	;
run
;
ods excel close;        
goptions reset= goptions;  

Skärmbild 2022-11-22 163434.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I believe you may need to use a STYLE override in PROC REPORT that changes the TAGATTR style attribute for TYPE. Here's the documentation page for ODS EXCEL https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/odsug/p09n5pw9ol0897n1qe04zeur27rv.htm#p1h... and if you look at Examples 2 and 3, you'll see how to use TAGATTR with TYPE:number and see whether that works for you.
Cynthia

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

Can you post what sas format has Invoice variable?

Within SAS, assuming the format is comma12.2, when Invoice is displayed is it like 3.571.144,00 (european option) ?

It seems as if commas are diaplayed as blank space ?!

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
I believe you may need to use a STYLE override in PROC REPORT that changes the TAGATTR style attribute for TYPE. Here's the documentation page for ODS EXCEL https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/9.4_3.5/odsug/p09n5pw9ol0897n1qe04zeur27rv.htm#p1h... and if you look at Examples 2 and 3, you'll see how to use TAGATTR with TYPE:number and see whether that works for you.
Cynthia
Multipla99
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you, Cynthia! This really did the trick! I'm very excited!

Maybe you could also tell me what is the function of "_" in the "format:¥#,##0.00_" part?

Multipla99

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi:

That is a Microsoft rule about what characters can be used in a custom format. You can read about them here: https://www.thespreadsheetguru.com/blog/excel-custom-number-format-rules and of course, on the Microsoft site, which I couldn't find the link for. Here's a short list from the web page:

Cynthia_sas_0-1669303409342.png

Hope this helps explain it. I rarely use the _ in my custom formats with TAGATTR, but that's just my preference.

Cynthia

Multipla99
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you very much, Cynthia!

This link that you provided explains a lot. I'm also happy to hear that I'm not the only having difficulties to find this information on the Microsoft site.

All the best,
Multipla99
Multipla99
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you, Ksharp, for pointing me to this excellent blog post!

Multipla99

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The LOCALE setting will control how NLNUM format displays the values.  Which is great for a PDF or simple text output.

But for Excel you need to tell Excel how IT should display the values. Use the /style option and TAGATTR setting.  So this format string tells Excel to use two decimal places and insert thousand separators.

style(data)={tagattr="format:#,##0.00"}

Now Excel will display two decimal places and thousand separator.  It should use the normal characters for those options that the computer that is viewing the XLSX file uses even though the custom formatting instruction is using comma and period.  So if you are viewing the file in Sweden then it should do what you want.

If for some reason it is still not display properly in Excel you can use the Options -> Advanced editting options and un-check the "Use system separators" selection you can then fill in the decimal and thousands separator character in the two text boxes there.  I don't know how to override the default setting via code from SAS however.

Note that if you are NOT also sending that PROC REPORT output to some other open ODS output destination there is probably no need to attach the NLNUM format to the variable.  That just controls how SAS formats the string it uses to pass the number to Excel.  And Excel is notorious for ignoring the original style that numbers were entered with. So it is probably not necessary to add thousand separators there.

Multipla99
Quartz | Level 8
Thank you very much, Tom!

Especially I appreciate you clarification that my national version of Excel will adapt this formatting to the national standard. Sometimes life is really easy!

Multipla99

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation