BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Karo_22
Calcite | Level 5
Hi All, trying to find possible solution to my issue. Any assistance would be appreciated.
I have check_dt that is in format mmyy7. (JAN2009,DEC2008, NOV2008 etc) . However, there is also possibility of having check_dt=SEP9999 (month9999 year).
If that is the case, if check_dt has year(check_dt)=9999 then I want to have new_check_dt=n/a, otherwise new_check_dt=check_dt.
That changes from date format to character if done in data step. So, I thought I could do something like this
%let lowdate = '31DEC2008'd;
%let highdate = '01JAN2009'd;

proc format;
value nadate low-&lowdate = [monyy7.]
&highdate-high = ' N/A';
run;
Then....in proc tabulate steps...are something like this
class
classlev
var
table check_dt='Check Date'*f=nadate.

But formatting my check_dt to above proc format...is not doing anything to my output! Can anyone help? Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
Assuming that check_dt is a CLASS variable, try moving the format out of the TABLE statement and into a FORMAT statement:
[pre]
format check_dt nadate.; [/pre]

When you apply the format in the TABLE statement -- you are applying it to the calculated statistics -- the ones that result from the various crossings -- not to the CLASS variables themselves.

cynthia
Karo_22
Calcite | Level 5
THANK YOU CYNTHIA. Your suggestion worked. Many thanks again.
Karo_22
Calcite | Level 5
One last question. Currently I have, proc sort by descending CHECK_Dt & then proc tabulate steps. My output has following pattern from top to bottom for the check_dt: n/a, Jan2009, Dec2008,Nov2008 & so on down to back 3 years. Is there a way to have my n/a rows to be moved to the bottom of this column, but KEEP my true dates in descending order? So it would be: Jan2009, Dec2008,Nov2008 .....n/a
Thanks
data_null__
Jade | Level 19
I would change year = 9999 to missing then use MISSING DESCENDING on class statement.

[pre]
data test;
input id:$2. date:monyy.;
if year(date) eq 9999 then date = .;
format date monyy.;
cards;
01 sep9999
01 nov2008
02 sep2008
02 sep2007
;;;;
run;
proc print;
run;
proc format;
value nadate . = 'N/A' other = [monyy7.];
run;
proc tabulate;
class date / missing descending;
tables date,all;
format date nadate.;
run;
[/pre]
Karo_22
Calcite | Level 5
thank you!!!! Your suggestion worked well on my project. Greatly appreciated.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation