BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JackHamilton
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I am creating a workbook with the ExcelXP tagset, version (SAS 9.1.3, v1.70, 06/05/07).

When I try to open it, I get the messages:

=====
Problem During Load

Problems came up in the following areas during load:

Strict Parse Error

This file cannot be opened because of errors. Errors are listed in C:\Documents and Settings\c449630\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.MSO\8F5FDA51.log.
=====

That file contains the following text:

=====
XML PARSE ERROR: Malformed or illegal processing instruction
Error occurs at or below this element stack:
(Stack is empty--error occurs at or below top-level element.)
=====

I don't find that helpful. How do I determine what the problem is and where it occurs?
1 REPLY 1
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi, Jack:
I hate that error message in Excel. When I get it it's usually because I've tried to do something funky with the XML (like passing an XML string into Excel using PRETEXT or POSTTEXT -- really not happy with that one) or doing something with styles or formulas that Excel didn't like. I used to get it all the time when I had a title statement in the code -- before the tagset allowed embedded titles.

I don't have a good way to tell what exactly caused the error in a particular instance, but I do know that when I work with ExcelXP, I keep making numbered copies of my programs. When I get the error, I fall back to the last known program that Excel opened successfully and then ask myself what changed between the working program and the program that Excel gave the error with.

I tried looking down in that error file that Excel logs, but generally don't find it useful.

cynthia

ps...sometimes, the updated tagset for ExcelXP fixes things.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation