BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SASHunter
Obsidian | Level 7
I know your going to say - I should be able to find this on SAS's website, but I haven't quite found what I am looking for.

We are on the Linux machine and the version of SAS is 'SAS 9.2 TS Level 2MO

We want to create a Excel file (version 2007) on the Linux that we can ftp to the PC and open in Excel 2007. How do I do this is ODS?

The current code we use is like this:

ods noresults;
ods listing close;
ods html body="$DATA/&mmm&yy.summary_rpt.xls";

ods html close;
ods listing;

Can I change the extension on the summary_rpt.xls to 'summary_rpt.xlsx' and once I ftp to the PC open in Excel 2007?

Thanks, Nancy
4 REPLIES 4
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
You can most definitely open an "XLS" type Excel document in Excel 2007 - the file does not need to have an "XLSX" extension.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.

Suggested Google advanced search argument, this topic/post:

+ods +"excel 2007" site:sas.com
SASHunter
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for the reply.

I have done more reading since posting this. Now I understand that - just because the file has the extension (.XLS) does not mean that it created an Excel file. It created an ASCII file that I can open in Excel. In testing we changed the extension to (.XLSX) on the Linux side, the file could not be opened in Excel anymore. It gave us a warning, we clicked OK, but nothing opened.

So we put it back to (.XLS) and now staying with that. Once we get the file over to the PC side, I suggested writing code that would save the file as an (.XLSX) file.

Thanks again,
Nancy
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ
Hi:
ODS HTML, ODS CSV and ODS TAGSETS.EXCELXP all create different types of ASCII text files (HTML, comma-separated and Spreadsheet Markup Language XML) that can be opened and rendered with Excel. The XML created by TAGSETS.EXCELXP is Office SpreadsheetML version 2002/2003.

The new .XLSX files are a different type of XML -- in fact, an XLSX file is not actually ONE file, it is an archive of files. If you perform the "experiment" described in this previous post:
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=18646䣖
of renaming an XLSX file with the extension .ZIP, you will see the new structure.

Microsoft is very picky about which file extensions you use -- so naming an HTML file with a .XLSX extension is not going to make Microsoft happy to open the file. With Office 2007 in particular, even naming an HTML file with a .XLS extension or naming a 2003 XML file with a .XLSX extension causes Excel to complain upon opening the file.

Your approach of creating the HTML file and then having a program do a SAVE to the format you want is a good approach. Or you could educate your users ....

cynthia
SASHunter
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks for your reply.

I have seen the .zip files inside .xls files. I have worked with the Ribbon in Excel 2007 to create new ribbons, so I have to modify the customUI file inside the .zip file.

Thanks so much.
Nancy

Each day I learn something new.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation