BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
FriedEgg
SAS Employee

I just read a an interesting article: 'Two Corpuses of Spreadsheet Errors' by Raymond R. Panko (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.98.5920&rep=rep1&type=pdf)

It outlines a case title 'The Wall' as follows:

You are to build a spreadsheet model to help

you create a bid to build a wall. You will offer two

options -- lava rock or brick. Both walls will be

built by crews of two. Crews will work three 8-

hour days to build either type of wall. The wall

will be 20 feet long, 6 feet tall, and 2 feet thick.

Wages will be $10 per hour. You will have to add

20% to wages to cover fringe benefits. Lava rock

will cost $3 per cubic foot. Brick will cost $2 per

cubic foot. Your bid must add a profit margin of

30% to your expected cost.

To me this is looks like a nice opportunity to train my use of the tools available in SAS to produce Excel Spreadsheets.

Can you create a program to pass the various conditions described above and generate a nice Excel document, the prettier, the better Smiley Happy

2 REPLIES 2
art297
Opal | Level 21

Matt,

I totally disagree that the errors the paper's authors found could be attributable to spreadsheet errors.  The same errors they describe could be made in SAS or any other tool.

I'm also not saying that there aren't problems that can result from the way that spreadsheets function, just that I think the only thing the authors discovered was that people often don't know how to correctly solve problems.

As far as I could see, not one of the errors they mentioned concerning the wall problem were related specifically to spreadsheets.

Art

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

I completely agree with your assessment however I take to walk-away slightly differently.  Because of the likelyhood of an individual to make a simple error when generating a speadsheet the proper effort to develop a program for a standard report with given inputs should be created.  I view 'the wall' as a pretty simple invoice generating application that requires little specialized knoweldge to produce an application for.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation