BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi All:

I can't seem to find this in the doc anywhere:

I have a format that I have saved in a library on the mainframe that I need to copy to the server. How do I do this (other than the Connect stuff, which is not a problem)?

I don't want to copy the entire library or the format catalog, just the format that I need.

Much thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
proc format cntlout = work.something library= zos_fromat_lib ;
select any required $format and_or informat ;
run ;
signon yoursrv ;
rsubmit ;
proc upload data= work.something ;
run;
proc format library=server_fmt_library cntlin= work.something ;
run ;
SASKiwi
PROC Star
If you don't use SAS/CONNECT there are 2 options:

1) Copy the source code that produced the format and run it on the target computer.

2) Convert the SAS format into a SAS transport file using the CPORT procedure, do a BINARY transfer of the file to your target computer, then read in the transport file using the CIMPORT procedure. Refer to SAS documentation for more details.
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Suggested Google advanced search argument, this topic/post:

proc cport transfer catalog format operating system site:sas.com

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
OS2Rules
Obsidian | Level 7
Thanks all.

I used a technique much like Peter.C suggested except that the source library was allocated on the mainframe as a remote table using the CONNECT Spawner (thank goodness that was available). I allocated the target as the server library and - ta-da!

Also - the source library had only the formats that I needed for this application, not the entire production format library. I was thinking that I needed to select only a few formats from a library that contains hundreds.

And - unfortunately, the source code is long gone...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation